cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

don't buy an iPhone from o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just had a problem with an iphone 6 which apple confirmed as a hardware issue and which although over 1 year old would be covered by apple and replaced. 

However because my consumer contract is with o2 they limit their warranty to 1 year and will not exchange a £600 phone, which has not been misused and has been confirmed independently by an authorised apple store to be defective. 

So my advice to O2 customers is to buy your phone from Apple and let them look after you. They have been exemplary in terms of service, employing intelligent well trained staff. O2 on the other hand have been nauseatingly spivvy and unprofessional. To be honest I struggled to be able to understand what they were even saying. It is quite something to run a phone company and then to fail so miserably with the basics of telecommunication. 

It took me over 1 hour just to get my pac codes to leave. It took me less time to buy a new car. 

Anyway, this is just a heads up for those wanting to invest in an iphone, buy it from Apple and take out a separate airtime agreement with O2. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You issued a court claim against o2 for not honouring an out of warranty service offered directly by the manufacturer?
Good luck with that.
It doesn't matter who your contract is with in the case of defects recognised by the manufacturer, your out of warranty servicing will be with Apple as they alone are the body that has recognised a fault.
Your rights as a consumer are as set out when purchasing a product with a 12 month warranty set by THE MANUFACTURER, any deviation from this policy is at their sole discretion and unless a device is recalled, it is not the responsibility of O2 to provide a warranty based service that they are not authorised by Apple to carry out.
Sorry but "Apple recognising your contract is with O2" is not a reason to go to O2 for a service offered by the manufacturer, as they would also recognise that the contract of service under warranty is now past and they alone can authorise, and carry out, and post warranty repair on a device out of retail and manufacturer warranty.
Message 11 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And for future record.
IPhone warranty is one year, regardless of whether you buy it from pcw,argos,o2 or even Tim cook himself.
See here.
http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/warranty/products/uk-ireland-universal-warranty.html
Also take note of the following before looking a bit silly in court.
It's near the bottom.
"GENERAL

No Apple reseller, agent, or employee is authorized to make any modification, extension, or addition to this warranty."
Meaning someone is lying.
Message 12 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The iPhone will be covered by consumer laws depending on date purchased see https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exte...

if apple admit a known hardware issue that was down to manufacturing error it should be replaced out of the 12 month warranty period in line with the relevant consumer protection law

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/ also explains why you deal with o2 and mot apple after the warranty period

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 13 of 21

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And even in the link you posted, you state that people should go to the manufacturer, especially under manufacturer warranty which Apple have not authorised o2 to extend beyond the original 12 months, so where should user go? Apple.
In every case of Apple acknowledging a hardware fault, they have asked customers to visit their stores for the repair of said fault.
The second link does indeed show that under normal circumstances users should seek resolution from the seller once warranty has passed, but in this case the user wants a warranty based service after the warranty is passed, o2 cannot do this on the say so of some apple worker, especially when said Apple worker has laid out what Apple would have done but can't because user purchased phone from o2, Nonsense. If Apple have said they would have done xxx they have to regardless of where a user bought it, it's their product and only they can extend their own warranty to provide this free service just as they did with the iPhone 5 home button repair.
The idea that o2 will replace an over one year old Apple device is laughable at best and you fully know this, but i also suspect argument for arguments sake.

Message 14 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I still find it laughable that Apple, top top price for an outdated phone, have so much confidence in their product that they give a 12 month warranty when other phone manufacturers with modern technology give a 24 month warranty. Yet people still flock to buy into a company who say yes, out of warranty so go to your supplier. We are Apple, we set our own terms and conditions that you the customer will abide by.

Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought I should update this, I issued a county court claim against Telefonica and on learning the details they agreed to replace the phone along with my costs.
Message 16 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Good news indeed.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122767 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

How long did it take them to settle the dispute @Anonymous? I only ask as you started this thread 11 months ago? wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 21

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
An online money claim that I successfully made took almost a year from start to finish.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 19 of 21

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I'm so glad you followed this through and thrilled that you won and O2 made to cough up. Very well done! 

Message 20 of 21