cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Wifi calling include SMS and MMS messages?

Loony22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

exactly that, wifi is great but i have such low signal indoors that sometimes cant even send a text message.

Message 1 of 112
111 REPLIES 111

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We've been informed elsewhere that texts will follow sometime in 2018. I can't actually find it because the many threads have been merged..... 

Message 51 of 112

Loony22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Is that SMS and MMS?

Message 52 of 112

Loony22
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
who do i contact about a possible site for a mobile booster mast placement?
Message 53 of 112

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The only contact details are via Customer Services. I think you will be disappointed though @Loony22

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 54 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

The point is unless they sort something out and fast they are definitely going to lose me as a customer. I had a conversation with the Manager who admitted he knew WiFi calling was voice only and did not included texts but forgot to mention it because I specifically asked about making and receiving voice calls. Duh! As if the lack of texts was somehow insignificant. It's a critical part of using a phone and if you don't have a mobile signal then the alternative should provide it. If you have a mobile people send you texts and just assume you receive them so you need thsi functionality.

I agree TuGo didn't route texts from services like your bank but ones from individual's mobile phones got through. Now we don't get any texts and this is progress? They shoudln't have announced turning off TuGo until they had added texts to WiFi calling like other service providers. I can't afford to wait for some unspecified date in the future. I'd be happy to stay with O2 if by some miracle they suddenly decide within two weeks that they need to turn this feature on. But I doubt they will.

So within the cancellation period of 14 days I'll be driving to my store again (a round trip of nearly 50 miles I might add) to hand the phone back and get a refund. I'll then walk down the street a short distance and go into the EE shop to take out a contract on exactly the same phone. Sure I might pay more than I do on O2, but as I also have the choice of other far more enlightened providers I hope to get a good deal. I'm sure they'll appreciate my custom even if O2 don't.

Message 55 of 112

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good luck mate. As soon as I am out of here I'll be looking around too. 

Message 56 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 you now have 6 people here who have confirmed that they will terminate their contracts with you and publically broadcast your fundamental lack of concern for our views as your customers.

You should be ashamed of the way you are not addressing this issue which only exists because of this crappy patch you have tried to apply to your crappy coverage in our areas.
Message 57 of 112

Loony22
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
And who the hell said this thread was solved. it is clearly NOT!!!
Message 58 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

I cancelled my contract yesterday and switched to a different provider. I feel sorry for the store manager who couldn't get any sort of commitment as to when they will start supporting text messages via WiFi Calling like other networks do. If their own staff can't get a straight answer what chance do customers have? All they could offer is a vague statement that they will be doing 'something' next year, but no suggestion if that'd be Q1. Their assertion is that people don't tend to use texts to the same amount they used to and it was expensive to support. But not everyone likes using social media platforms or messaging apps and if you have a mobile phone then the assumption is you can receive texts. The ultimate irony was that O2 themselves send you texts, which of course never got through on TuGo, but would have meant we got their marketing guff if they supported SMS over WiFi calling and somewhat blows a hole in their assertion that 'texts are a dying form of communication'.

O2 are compacent and can afford to be, as there are plenty of subscribers in cellular areas that will sign up with them because to them it isn't an issue. It's we 'poor cousins' who can't get a signal who are now being doubly ignored by O2's lack of commitment.

Oh, and on the network I moved to I get more countries where I can use my allowance whilst roaming at no charge. So that's another area O2 are failing on.

Message 59 of 112

bilko
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If this is not sorted by the time my contract is renewed I will be leaving too (4 phones)

I don't know why this thread is marked as solved as it obviously is not.

Message 60 of 112