cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't Wifi calling include SMS and MMS messages?

Loony22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

exactly that, wifi is great but i have such low signal indoors that sometimes cant even send a text message.

Message 1 of 112
111 REPLIES 111

Loony22
Level 1: Joiner
  • 26 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
sorry but tugo sucks, and i am strapped to NO2 for another year and a half. i could go vodafone and use our sure signal and all would be well, but I hate vodafone with a passion. however if things continue to not happen at O2 i might just have to get the ****** out of this £30 a month joke. even Giff gaff sucks out here too unless i use my nokia 105.
Message 41 of 112

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Have you tried switching to 2g only for indoor coverage?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 112

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Loony22 are you on a refresh tariff? as you could always pay off your handset plan and then change networks without any additional costs.

If you joined direct with O2 you should be on this type of tariff, if however you joined with a 3rd party like Carphone then your stuck till your contract runs out
Message 43 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'll put it very simply: I have lost 2 friends from the O2 network to other carriers over this issue as we all have ZERO O2 signal in the vast majority of our houses. WiFiCalling has been the only reason to stay with O2 except we cannot text. O2 has been aware of this issue for months and have done nothing to fix it.

If O2 do not resolve this issue by Christmas I will cancel my O2 contract and transfer to another provider who can fulfil the basic task of covering gaps in their own network. I will actively encourage others on social media to do the same.
Message 44 of 112

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There will be a long list of people leaving behind you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 112

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Chris_K will Wi-Fi calling now have sms enabled following the demise of tugo

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 46 of 112

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There will be a long list of people leaving behind you.

I'm on that list. Wifi calling is of no use whatsoever to me. 

Message 47 of 112

MI5
  • 144075 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Me neither 😞

Currently using:
Message 48 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 49 of 112

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was blindsided by the announced demise of TuGo at the end of November and although TuGo wasn't perfect it had the extra advantage of running on Windows devices too. So if I was at my desk I didn't even have to pick up my mobile and hold it to me ear to take a call. I could just answer it using the built in mic and speakers of my laptop.

I totally relied on it as I'm out of signal 95% of the time so reluctantly I went yesterday to upgrade to a Samsung Note 8 (I know this is an Apple section of the forums but the WiFi calling issue is common to both Apple and Android, plus this is where a search for others with this issue brought me).

O2 Customer Support acknowledged the issue for me in them closing TuGo and that it was their timing not mine that required me to upgrade before the end of my device plan. But they still wouldn't cancel the last six months of payments which considering I'd be upgrading to a more expensive phone and airtime plan as well as purchasing new accessories struck me as very unhelpful. I decided if they weren't interested in keeping me as a customer I'd take whatever miserly deal they offered to cancel the contract and go elsewhere.

The manager of the store I was did as good a deal as he could within his authority limits in trading in my old phone and persuaded me it was worth staying. Although I was very pleased with my decision on the phone I then got the kicker the next day of finding out O2, unlike other carriers, aren't doing SMS and MMS over WiFi Calling. This is absolutely essential. What fool in O2 thought, "Well, they can get calls - why worry about texts?". I never asked the question in store because it seemed so unlikely that it would only handle calls. Not even the staff in store say they were aware that WiFi calling didn't include texts.

I'm giving them 7 days to find out from Regional if there are imminent plans to turn on texts (it surely can't be that hard as otehr carriers are doing it already). If not, then they are going to get the phone back within the 14 day cancellation period and I'm going to EE. I should have carried out that threat straight away when they didn't think it worth cancelling the £108 remaining phone contract to keep me.

Message 50 of 112