cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Voicemail

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have iPhone 4s on o2 pay monthly with iPhone data bolt on.

I am having problems getting VVM to work at all, as soon as I hit the VM button in phone section it immediately dials 901 and I have to access messeages that way.  Reading forums sjows lots of people have similar issues and a number of suggested workarounds to sorting it.  I have tried resetting network settings, resetting all settings all with variouse options of switching Vm on and off and sending text message to 9011 etc..  Last night I did a complete restore and then restored my backup and as experienced by others this did  not solve the problem.

o2 on line chat resulted in me being sent the APN settings for voicemail which was already set up with the same settings anyway so no joy there.  Is restoring the phone as a new phone and setting it all up again the only option left?

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable

If he is willing, I suggest that he tries his sim in your iPhone to help try and verify if the problem is in your account or with your iPhone.

However, it is very important that you BOTH turn off iMessage and Facetime FIRST so that you don't end up registering his mobile number in your iPhone for iMessages or Facetime. Don't worry about the iCloud settings as they only work off the iCloud email address.

Again, BOTH iPhones should turn off iMessage and Facetime BEFORE you put his sim into your iPhone. That way Apple's severs will not look for his mobile number on your iPhone.

When you have finished, and the sims are back in the correct phones, you can then turn iMessage and Facetime back on.

Message 21 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

boffbuff,

Thanks I may try that next week when back in work, although I don't know if he will be up for it.  Worth a try though.

Thanks

Message 22 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Try calling ##002# which will cancel any diverts on the phone and then try it again after a reboot.

Just tried it again an still no difference. slight_frown

Message 23 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is worth a try as I suspected that the carrier settings were not correctly applied in my iPhone 5 when I set it up and it caused my call divert issue. I had never used call divert before, which is why when I turned my phone on and it showed the call divert symbol, my phone would still ring as there was nothing on O2's side setup for call divert.

Resetting the phone and setting it up as new did not force a new install of the carrier settings, and just be chance I resolved it by setting up and then turning off call divert.

I'm just guessing here by suggesting that your carrier settings may have an issue, but swapping sims would help to show if there is an account or phone issue.

Just make sure you both turn off iMessage and Facetime first and that the phones register that the settings have been turned off before you swap sims, otherwise you may start seeing each others iMessages. I suggest turning off Facetime as well as both those services register your mobile number on Apple's servers and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Message 24 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Noted, thanks.
Message 25 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another update:

As my mailbox reset wasn't actioned as promised, I have just got off chat (again) and been promised it will happen within 24 hrs.  I will see if that kicks VVM into action.  Definitely a problem with the mailbox setting as keying 1760 to turn it off doesnt work eventhough the automated voice sais it has been turned off, I know this because as soon as I switch it off I try the voicemail icon and it goes straight into my mailbox.

We wil see what happens.

Message 26 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any joy on the mailbox reset ?

Also, only do the sim swap if you and your friend are both pay monthly or both Pay as you go.

Message 27 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mail box reset didn't do anything. Booked a guru visit in O2 shop today but guru wasn't there and shop did not open until 11 am whereas on line appointment was for 1030.

Shops manager answered door and said problem was ios6 even though some have vvm working others don't plus wifi problems with some He advises installing 5.1.1 again, I said this is not possible he argues that it was and gave me a printout if a 'shift restore' through iTunes. Needless to say I tried it and it does not work. Still no further forward no one can help at O2. Surprised they haven't suggested changing sim or saying the phone is faulty.

Message 28 of 47

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
I understand ur skepticism but there are a few basics than can and do fix a lot of problems. I see u have come across these.

As Sherlock once said: if having discounted everything what remains MUST be the answer. (Very paraphrased!)

This is why the usual is gone through each time and unfortunately u have been the victim of these checks.

Lets just tick them.off..
Settings....
Reboot.... (press n hold power/time until the apple appears. Then wait n restart fone)
Changed SIM or tried in a different handset......
Tried a restore via iTunes......

If thlose haven't worked then it's either software (ios6 I know the ip5 cant be down graded) or hardware.... BOTH are best checked by apple. Yes I know... wtf. It's best to get ur local apple or authorised repair centre.
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 29 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well if guy in work isn't keen to do a sim swap I will try in my sons. He has same phone but uses orange and recently jail broke iOS 5.1.1 but with my O2 sim in it maybe a good test to see if vvm works in his that would confirm an issue with my phone I guess.
Message 30 of 47