cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade iOS for jailbroken i phone??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have recently bought jailbroken i phone 3gs. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my iOS from without blocking my phone completely. Is there any way to do this? Thank you! Zuzana

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Ok brilliant. Ill find the program and send you a link.

Do you already have data on the iPhone?

You could restore the phone from iTunes when disconnected from the Internet.

Set it up as a new phone this will remove traces of jailbreaking which you could then update afterwards.

i should add doing it this way will delete all data on the phone.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Do you wish to keep it jailbroken?

You could use a third party software to install ios5 which you can download quite easily.

Unfortunately any updates you apply will result in having to reapply a suitable jailbreak.

Not even sure were allowed to discuss jailbreaking on this forum:/
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

no, I really dont care whether it's jailbroken or not. I just want to use my phone in full without blocking something etc.

Message 3 of 17

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Ok brilliant. Ill find the program and send you a link.

Do you already have data on the iPhone?

You could restore the phone from iTunes when disconnected from the Internet.

Set it up as a new phone this will remove traces of jailbreaking which you could then update afterwards.

i should add doing it this way will delete all data on the phone.

Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant! Thanks for your help!! Really appreciate it!

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to add that I have data on the phone. is there any way to ..save it somewhere?:-)

Message 6 of 17

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Actually I just found out the latest iTunes can back up the contents from jailbroken devices:)

Once you click restore it will ask if you want to make a backup this will save contacts/SMS/apps.

Proceed with restore and it will wipe the phone and data then update with latest iOS. (If you get the option to stay on the old iOS take it! iOS 6.0.1 really bogs down the 3GS.)

After restored all done you'll be able to restore from the back up you made. Then you've got all your data back:)

Let us know how you get on:)

And welcome to the forums:)
Message 7 of 17

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Perfect timing for the discovery haha.

I should say the backup may not be foolproof but it should work:)
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are star!! Will try it as soon as I get home from work. Do you think I could you iOS 5?? Or do I realy have to use older version? THe thing is I cant download app for skype etc with version I have which is 4.1... However thank you!!!:-)

Message 9 of 17

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

Ok this is where it could get tricky.

Try this link before you do a restore.

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2011/10/download-ios-5-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

Download the iOS file, back up your current iPhone as it is.

Then restore the iPhone using the file you downloaded as the file to restore from.

After which your phone should be a blank working copy of iOS 5.

Then restore it again but using your backup you made. This should then copy the data into your phone whilst keeping iOS 5.

You'll have to ignore iTunes warning about updating to iOS 6 once you upgrade to 6 you can't go back unfortunatly:(

Hope this helps? Sorry its long winded.

Message 10 of 17