cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 5S on the Refresh Tarriff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys!

I took out a new refresh contract with the iPhone 5S. I needed it unlocked as I need it for use on two networks, when I enquired about the unlock on live chat, I was told they would unlock the handset, but only after the phone plan had been paid in full.

I then called customer services to check this information was correct, and I was assured it was, so paid the phone plan in full, went back to live chat, and they submitted a unlock request.

The next day - an email arrived from 'back office support' stating they are not yet authorised to unlock iPhone 5S handsets!

I spoke to customer services again who stated that was incorrect and passed it back through! Im a little worried as I dont want it to go past my cooling off period and then they say that cant do it! 

Anyone here in the same boat or successfully had your iPhone 5S unlocked?

Message 1 of 171
170 REPLIES 170

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told that it will be done as soon as it is authorised with Apple, with O2 having already requested Apple to allow them to do this.

Just another one to add into the mix slight_smile

Message 21 of 171

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
That was the same excuse they tried to use last year wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 171

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Martyn,

Thanks for letting us know about the chat session, I'm about to send you a private message to get more details so I can look into it.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 23 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the latest:

I called today as advised to arrange a return and cancellation as I had been given the wrong information, and was told I cant return it as I have paid for the handset and its 'mine', and they also said that I have used it.

I told them that I made a chargeable call and text as advised by them to latch onto the network and paid the phone off in full, all on the constant understanding and reassurance that it would be unlocked. He spoke to a team leader and came back saying that they will get this unlocked for me and they are sending a email to back office support.

Going around in circles. Does anyone know when my cooling off period would end (I received the phone on Saturday 21st)

😞

Message 24 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is the latest:

I called today as advised to arrange a return and cancellation as I had been given the wrong information, and was told I cant return it as I have paid for the handset and its 'mine', and they also said that I have used it.

I told them that I made a chargeable call and text as advised by them to latch onto the network and paid the phone off in full, all on the constant understanding and reassurance that it would be unlocked. He spoke to a team leader and came back saying that they will get this unlocked for me and they are sending a email to back office support.

Going around in circles. Does anyone know when my cooling off period would end (I received the phone on Saturday 21st)

😞

That is shocking!!!

Message 25 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 you are out of order with this I now know of 2 other people who are being told they will not unlock until you pay of the phone yet people are paying of the phone and you still aren't unlocking it !!!
Message 26 of 171

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
It is naughty, but I don't get why people who can afford to pay off the phone in full aren't buying sim free direct from Apple?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 171

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It is naughty, but I don't get why people who can afford to pay off the phone in full aren't buying sim free direct from Apple?

Seems odd to me too.

Message 28 of 171

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can't imagine O2 will have considered anyone wanting to do such an odd thing!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 29 of 171

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well firstly I can't be bothered queuing up for one,secondly online orders are October ,thirdly it works out about £40 cheaper doing it this way wink
Message 30 of 171