cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock iPhone 3GS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've recently upgraded to an iPhone 5 and given my 3GS to my sister in Dublin. 

I need to get it unlocked and I'm wondering if I just fill in the unlocking form will that suffice? I've read in other posts as out registering calls on the o2 uk network. This would be a pain in the butt as the phone is already in Dublin.  I'm an 02 may monthly customer and I had the 3GS for three years. I upgraded one month ago. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply,

ma1read

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

you may be able to get o2 to unlock it for free you need to ring customerservice and not use the form.

If customerservices cannot help then you need to go down the payg route either by getting the iphone back of making a trip up north.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
I'm pretty sure you'll be ok as there are O2 masts out there. Presume the unlock would work across all of O2s network:)

Only thing is I presume you've already done a sim swap? I'm not sure if the unlock would still be free you might have to put a PAYG sim into it and pay the £15.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 4

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

you may be able to get o2 to unlock it for free you need to ring customerservice and not use the form.

If customerservices cannot help then you need to go down the payg route either by getting the iphone back of making a trip up north.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As long as the O2 system still recognises your original phone number (as used on 3GS) and the phones IMEI you should get it unlocked for free. It would have been better to do it before you upgraded though. I'd take a chance on filling out the form. You've nothing to lose......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4