cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor GPS and internet whilst out on the road - iPhone 4s

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my Iphone 4s does everything I hoped it would and the o2 network has never let me down (touch wood) but one thing that i would like steer on is everytime I am out and about driving wether it be in the countryside or in the town my GPS locator always takes ages to load. In fact sometimes its so slow it renders the function useless. if I am sat at home it works in an instance and if I use google maps, or the maps provided it finds my location within the split of a second - but if I am out and about where I need it most it doesnt work. 

Any ideas or anyone suffering from the same issue?

or is there anything I can do to boost the signal?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Arrgh if its the pinch to zoom part that tends to cause the bog down, it will be a poor data connection.

I believe google maps downloads the map tiles for the journey when you put in the address. Most others I've seen download maps on the fly which causes slow updates with poor data connection.

A great GPS that stores majority of maps on your phone is "UK & ROI". Never had an issue with it:) (its FREE:))
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
What app are you useing? Apple maps?

If the location setting are in use for other apps it might be conflicting with another refusing to give up its connection.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe something to do with if there is 3g in the area or just basic gprs speeds

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

to be honest i've toggled between a few apps uninstalling and reinstalling inbetween. Its mainly when you pinch zoom to see the road names, when it zooms in it takes about 5 minutes to load, whih doesnt sound long but it is when your driving trying to find a location. 

I've not looked into the settings though so will try this, Ive just downloaded the new google maps so ill see how this goes. 

Thansk for the reply

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi mate, yes this was a concern of mine, I have just got google maps, so ill try this out and see how it goes, 

Cheers 

Matt

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

no problem, glad to help, let us know how you get on 

Message 6 of 11

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Arrgh if its the pinch to zoom part that tends to cause the bog down, it will be a poor data connection.

I believe google maps downloads the map tiles for the journey when you put in the address. Most others I've seen download maps on the fly which causes slow updates with poor data connection.

A great GPS that stores majority of maps on your phone is "UK & ROI". Never had an issue with it:) (its FREE:))
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Liquid! 

Ironically I already have UK and ROI - oops! i'll continue to use this instead of maps. 

Cheers

Matt

Message 8 of 11

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It's a great satnav I use it all the time:)

It's just basic without any flashy gimmicks that a lot come with these days. Precisely what you want going from A-B
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a great solution to this...... the woman indoors with a A to Z in the passenger seat. 
Only problem I have encountered though is it does not come with a mute button.

Message 10 of 11