cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My iPad Mini - Retina Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My iPad Mini Retina Review.

I have thought about buying a tablet / phablet for a while now and with the recent awesome competition for three new O2 Community Forum members to win the Google Nexus 7, this started me thinking again.

After looking at many of the various blogs, You Tube Un-Boxing and First Impressions and review sites, I made my shortlist.

iPad Air.

iPad Mini.

iPad Mini - Retina.

Google Nexus 7 tablet.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

Sony Xperia Tablet Z Wi-Fi 16GB.

Since the middle of March I have been visiting the various High-Street shops with working demo models of the above to get a feel for them.

After deciding I wanted a minimum of 16Gb storage capacity and the Wi-Fi version of one of these I eventually narrowed my shortlist down to three options , being the iPad Mini-Retina , iPad Air and the Sony Experia Tablet Z Wi-Fi.

After lots of soul searching I opted for the Apple iPad Mini - Retina { No shocker there I hear some of you saying who know me well } ,but I did struggle over my eventual choice as regarding the specs in each their is really nothing much between them !

I wanted a tablet that was more portable so the iPad Air was ruled out.

Also after speaking to an acquaintance called Stuart regarding choosing the iPad Mini or the iPad Mini- Retina version, he succeeded in talking me into the Retina version for the higher specs. 

The text is much much sharper to the eye and the edges of app icons are properly rounded than that of the iPad Mini........ so Thank you Stuart.

So to my iPad Mini -Retina Review.

Specs can be found here : https://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/specs/

I purchased my model - Space Grey 16GB Wi-Fi from my local Apple Store for £319.00

As with all Apple products I've owned the iPad Mini Retina fired up fast and after inputting my Apple i.d all my settings, preferences ,and data uploaded into it with ease from iCloud.

I'm the first to admit that I am stuck in Apple's Eco-System but for me it all just works seamlessly.

It exudes a High quality construction and has a very sleek design.

Also as I have lightening power cords at my place of work for my iPhone 5s, I didn't need to have different power cords for different devices.

The retina screen itself is well worth the extra cost over the iPad mini version. Its flawless.

The battery usage on this device is impressive to say the least giving me easily 8-9 Hours surfing time. A days usage out of these devices ticks my wants and needs boxes.

It’s nice to be able to switch this on and do some surfing instead of having to get my MacBook Air out all the time.

Presently the only downside to using the iPad Mini - Retina on the O2 Community Forum is the omission of the Rich Editor, which is a situation I and others here have raised with the Community Forum Staff, so here's hoping the Rich Editor can be re implemented as it was before.

I also treated myself to the official Apple iPad Mini Smart Case which retails at £55 but is well worth the outlay, as it complements the device without adding too much bulk, and offers two options of how the iPad Mini - Retina can be laid on a flat surface for typing or watching a movie for example. 

images-4.jpg

The Good.

Very Light.

Good Battery usage times.

Small enough to be portable.

Amazing Screen.

Speedy Performance.

High quality construction.

The Not so Good.

Price.

Lacks Touch i.d.

images-6.jpg

Thank you for reading.  

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Excellent review BoB Fantastic

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Excellent review BoB Fantastic

Thank you @Cleoriff 

Comment appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 10

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
BoB this is awesome :).

Well done!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great review, thanks BoB! slight_smile

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Nice review Lee, I had a play with one at the Apple store on my recent trip and was nearly tempted.

Message 6 of 10

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good review BoB. Thanks!

I've been toying with getting one and like Jonsie was playing with on on a recent trip to Covent Garden but as I'm having to retire a failing Tablet PC ended up with a MBP.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers Guys.

MacBook Pro's are top shelf bits of kit along with a nice juicly price tag. I spent £1k on my MacBook Air which was enough at the time @aldaweb 

Nearly tempted @jonsie ? wink

Thank you @Toby and @Anonymous for your support.

So far the only thing I would have liked to see was to have a set of earphones in the box as standard.

Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow good find @jonsie

slight_smile
Message 10 of 10