cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Air -> iPhone tethering doesn't work

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a Mac Air running 10.7.5 and an iPhone 4s running IOS 5.something.

Im plugged into the mac using USB, but under network preferences, the iPhone connection says not connected and:

Either the cable for iPhone USB is not plugged in or the device is not responding.

Im on o2 and they confirmed I have the bundle needed for tethering

Any ideas? Much appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to check with o2 that your data bolt on includes tethering and tell them that you are not getting the hotspot setting on your phone.

The Personal Hotspot setting is enabled by the network providers. When I was on 5.1.1 and before o2 allowed tethering as part of my iPhone bolt on, this option was hidden, but once they changed their policy I then got access to it.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Can't you sync with iTunes happily? Would rule out the cable(we'd have to look at software conflicts)

How long has this problem persisted? Or is this the first time you've tried to teether them?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can sync with iTunes no problem - and this is the first time I tried to tether

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't need to connect your iPhone to your mac to tether it. Just go into Settings => Personal Hotspot on your iPhone and turn it on.

Then your mac will see the wireless network your iPhone has just created, and you can just join it as you would any other wireless network.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont have Personal Hotspot (I know where it should be as I had it on my last iphone (from Vodafone UK).

Message 5 of 8

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You might have to update the iOS. Should solve it.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to check with o2 that your data bolt on includes tethering and tell them that you are not getting the hotspot setting on your phone.

The Personal Hotspot setting is enabled by the network providers. When I was on 5.1.1 and before o2 allowed tethering as part of my iPhone bolt on, this option was hidden, but once they changed their policy I then got access to it.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, ill check back with o2. They were pretty useless this morning, but maybe ill get a better operator.

Message 8 of 8