cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 4s MMS charges as Group messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there 

I haven't used forums like this before, to get support but if any one can help I'd really appreciate it.  

I am trying to find out any information on the Iphone 4s charges if you send out an sms as a group O2 carrier charges as an MMS. Basically O2 have charged me a silly amount for sending only text information out to my friends, but since it was a group message they have charged at MMS rate. I can't find anywhere in my contract or on the internet with any reference specifically to the Iphone 4s and its charges on this matter. So therefore I'm really frustrated with why I should pay something that isn't clear by the network provider. 

I have seen other people have has similar issues with this, but I cant seem to find why no one has questioned the obligations of the provider to state this information clearly. I feel like I'm having money taken away from an issue which has no clear information on the phone setting in the first place. 

Thanks 

Ange 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

More on MMS here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/support/generalhelp/howdoi/picturemessaging

I believe they are included on some tariffs.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Apparently CS are advising customers that this is policy, however, the website clearly states that Group texts are sent as "text messages" and not "MMS" messages. We've never had a clearly defined answer as yet. I will flag it for admin to chase up.

"Yes, you can send each individual message to up to five different mobile phone
numbers at a time. Simply separate numbers or people from your address book with
semi-colons (;) or commas (,).

This is useful if you want to send
details to a group of mates about where you're meeting that night, for example.

You will be charged for the number of messages sent to the total number
of recipients. For example, if you send one text to five people, you will be
charged for five messages."

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Maybe the operative words are 'up to' five people? How many people were in the group that you sent texts to?

Sending texts to groups of people - Support - O2

Message 4 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Apparently CS are advising customers that this is policy, however, the website clearly states that Group texts are sent as "text messages" and not "MMS" messages. We've never had a clearly defined answer as yet. I will flag it for admin to chase up.

"Yes, you can send each individual message to up to five different mobile phone
numbers at a time. Simply separate numbers or people from your address book with
semi-colons (;) or commas (,).

This is useful if you want to send
details to a group of mates about where you're meeting that night, for example.

You will be charged for the number of messages sent to the total number
of recipients. For example, if you send one text to five people, you will be
charged for five messages."

I think that only applies to online texts.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144334 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Ahhh... Maybe, but still very confusing as that's not clear either.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Ahhh... Maybe, but still very confusing as that's not clear either.....

I know, finding stuff on the O2 site gets more and more difficult, everytime a new page appears there is a problem.

I tend to search with Google as it's easier than directly searching the site.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why im finding it so frustrating, I feel that O2 needs to clearly state it on the models and tariff page so that the customer is aware of any cost implications to their specific model. O2 appears to have a blackhole that sucks in any specific information that customers cant retrieve. Their communications, seem to be really poor and too genralised.

This is the first time I have been with O2 and as a result will not recommend anyone to O2 and will definately be moving once my contract has ended. Considering that almost every day I now get signal failures.

I sent the message out for two groups of 46 people. It seems excessive however the reason is that my manager is in India in a Coma and I am asking people to pledge £1 as he was found with no insurance and we are just trying to help another human being for his cause and charity. Hence my anger to O2 as the money they have taken should of been sent to my manager. As far as I can remember I spaced the names with a coma but I unfortunately dont have the message on my phone so cannot see. 

thanks for all your help so far, and apologies for my delayed reply, life of a busy student... 

Message 8 of 8