Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clear iPhone 5 cases: TPU type?

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Q: Does anyone know of any good TPU material clear/see-thru iPhone 5 cases? 

TPU is a composite material, a mix somthing between too soft rubber and harder plastic, hence IMO is the best material for both gripping and not scratching the back of the phone (the Incipio NGP on my 4S has worked a charm!). 

The two I know about: 

• I've tried a Belkin "Grip Sheer Case" (clear = part# F8W093vfC01) but it's NOT clear on the back, being opaque instead (but TOO opaque so it's virtually solid in colour!). 

http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=666440 

• Also I've see on YouTube a Rocketfish "Soft Shell Case", which is not even available here in the UK (so pretty stuffed if I wanted one!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYs6feD61Pc 

As a side issue, both of these also have rounded sides, rather than flat sides, so they won't allow the phone to stand it up on the long sides, which is also not what I'm generally after either if I have a choice. 

...if only Incipio would make their flat-sided NGP model in clear (not that crap Grey/Mercury colour nonsensical choice they've picked for the iPhone 5!), as they did for the 4/4S: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrH5WSY9cqo

_______ 

Reason I want a clear one, is that I work in a sometimes loud environment, so have the flash light turned on for when calls/texts/etc. come in to my phone. And having a clear case makes the whole thing light up and grab my attention much more than the screen alone, hence it'd be rather useful for me. See: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvl2-9NO580 

Help really appriciated! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I have a Belkin Grip Sheer Case, but also have a a hard plastic shell which is clear from carphonewarehouse.

I cant remember who makes it but it was £12.99.

I will try to find more infomation for you.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 2 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks for your response Darrengf – yeah I'd appreciate that info. 

@jimthing0 wrote:

Q: Does anyone know of any good TPU material clear/see-thru iPhone 5 cases? 

Although note the original question is asking for a TPU kind of case. 

TPU makes cases soft to the touch and can bend a reasonal amount so they can fit on & off the phone easily many times [like rubber], yet it's also got some tougher material in it which makes it stronger so it doesn't fall apart as easily as rubber ones eventually tend to do [like plastic, but much less brittle as plastic shell type cases are]. 

wiki: "Thermoplastic polyurethane" 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoplastic_polyurethane 

Anyones know of any clear TPU varients? 

Message 3 of 11

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/11952836686397297431?q=clear%20d30%20case&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-...

I know it's not exactly the material your after. I use this on building sites and it has survived a good 10ft fall without a scratch clear back for the light(I understand the noise problem) and feels great for a case it's not huge!

you can get them cheaper elsewhere but the branding D3O based polymer works very well from my experience:)

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 11

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phone-accessories/iphone5-accessories/iphone5-cases-silicone/buy/RF...

Uk rocketfish says its a clear one:)

However I've seen a thread about it discolouring white iPhone 5s

edit:appears its not clear as specced amazon sells it would just take a bit longer for delivery

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 5 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks for the suggestions Liquid. Not quite what I'm after though, really want a completely clear one, but thanks. 

The former isn't TPU, and not really completely clear. And the CPW Rocketfish I already knew about, but is not the same one as the one in my original posting (seems to be a weird patterned one). 

CPW seem to be the only ones selling the Rocketfish brand here in the UK, but only a small selection of them, and not the one Rocketfish "Soft Shell Case", annoyingly. Amazon UK haven't got it either. 

Seems really strange no one does a TPU completely clear case, when there were a few for the 4/4S. I can only guess it's early days since the iP5 was released. 

(suppose I'll have the same issue for my iPad Mini that comes on Friday, as well!) 

Message 6 of 11

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry mate I couldn't find any completely clear tpu cases:(

Only the d3o with coloured numbers and clear back was the closest. I can really vouch for its strength.

Sorry I couldn't help otherwise
Message 7 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@darrengf wrote:

I have a Belkin Grip Sheer Case,... 

Darrengf, do you think the picture on the website is misleading of the "see-thru/transparent" nature of the advertised CLEAR model of this case, ie. it looks completely clear in the pictures across the net (http://www.belkin.com/images/productmt/624538/500.jpg ), yet is actually very opaque, on both the back AND the sides!

So much so that you cannot really see either the logo or any text from the back of the phone, nevermind the camera flash when a call comes in... 

500.jpg.pngphoto.JPG

Advertising image (left)   —vs.—   Actual image  (right) 

If you think it's just my image quality on the right, then trust me, it's exactly the same in real life; you cannot see through the back to see either the back logo or back text AT ALL! 

Yes my iPhone 5 is black but I have tried it with a white iPhone 5 and it's exactly the same too. Completely NOT like the advertising image. 

Honestly, a number of brands have been doing either these "fake" non-real-to-life images in their advertising for their cases, or just plainly bad quality checks before releasing for sale. 

For example, Incipio's latest iPhone 5 version of their "NGP" case (great on iPhone 4/4S - NGP being Incipio's brand name for their version of TPU material) and their "Frequency" (previously unreleased in similar TPU material) case, both come in a colour called "Obsidian Black". Yet check the images on Amazon for examples of how different the new NGP ones are compared to the previous 4/4S version of the NGP: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0098FKHPG/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&i... 

And the reviews of the lack of quality too: 

http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-NGP-iPhone-Packaging-Obsidian/dp/B0098FKHPG/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header 

Truly appaling quality checks done on many of these (I tried both of these Incipio iP5 cases in Obsidian Black, so I know!). Clearly they were released/manufactured in a rush either just before or just after the iPhone 5 was released. Almost certainly also designed without checking an actual iPhone 5 first —the sleep/wake unpressable button issue, due to the iPhone 5 having a slightly lower profile— which they would have seen and designed for accordingly if they had bothered to check before release. 

Talk about ruining your, previously great, brand reputation in one fell swoop. 

Message 8 of 11

jimthing0
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

After emailing Belkin, I just got a reply from them saying that they are "looking into it". 

Gee thanks Belkin, what a non-committal answer there! 

...In the meantime, back to the online shop it goes. 

Looks like Ebay seem to have a good selection of sellers offering simple, plain, clear, TPU cases — many with open areas on the bottom for the 30pin-to-Lightning adaptor to fit too, which is important for a great many users to be able to use their Lightning devices in their older 30pin stuff, without having to constantly remove the device from the case. 

These cheaper Chinese importers are doing a better job for a fraction of the price, so sod these 'branded' companies who can't pull their finger out and deliver a decent product! 

(Of course, give it a couple of months and we'll see again – if I can be bothered to re-shop around for one at that time). 

Message 9 of 11

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Sorry for late reply.

Ive not forgot about the case, just trying to find the details lol.

I got the Smoked case from Belkin and yes the pics are miss leading.

Capture.JPGPic from internet 

Capture1.JPG This is more or less about what you can see in a bright light of my case

(Pic from internet but its the nearest thing to mine)

Oh and there the same case apparantly

I do love it thought the case

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 10 of 11