cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carbon fibre and plastic case

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently treated my iPhone 4 to a new cover to replace its bumper. It is made from carbon fibre and plastic which I thought would still protect the O2 signal and is specifically designed for the 4 and 4S.  Wrong!  The signal drops to nothing then searches furiously, then the dreaded red spot appears over the phone app.  I'm surprised that this happens. If anyone has a suggestion or explanation I'd be grateful.  I'm back to using my old bumper to protect the signal.

Many thanks in anticipation of some interesting responses. Ann

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

this article may help you understand the issue http://www.fastcompany.com/1746803/carbon-fiber-idevices-we-think-not

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

this article may help you understand the issue http://www.fastcompany.com/1746803/carbon-fiber-idevices-we-think-not

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really cannot see why a carbon fibre case would block signal. Not bring funny but the case is probably not real carbon fibre unless you paid a good deal of cash for it. So plastic should not block it out.

I've used metal bumpers and metal clip on cases that took a bar of the signal strength but none have never completely quashed it !
Message 3 of 10

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Carbon fibre is great for refracting/bending radio waves around it. It's highly effective in blocking radar (still a bandwidth based to an extent).

However carbon fibre Is not cheap and splinters very nastily I wouldn't advise using it for a case.

There are variants that are mixed with other materials than provide the look and feel of CF but doesn't affect transmission.

Can you link us to the case?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses.  The case indefinitely stops the signal and will be consigned to the bin. The article suggested gave me food for thought too, so I've just purchased a new bumper (silicon?) and the signal is fine. 

I purchased the troublesome case thro' Amazon for its good looks!  Serves me right for such vanity! I think I paid about £10 so it wasn't a cheaply.

Thanks again.

Ann

Message 5 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It's unfortunate carbon fibre looks great.

There are some large weave carbon fiber cases that won't affect your signal too much.

There were rumors of the iPhone 5 being carbon fiber:/
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Love the fact people think they will get a pure carbon fibre back for a £10.

Message 7 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You can buy sheets of the stuff relatively cheaply but it's brittle so not advisable as a solution. (Other than the signal issue haha)
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

A decent composite of Carbon fibre that you can use in phone back production will cost at retail end more than £10.

Message 9 of 10

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry it wasn't mean to sound as though I was contradicting you.

A suitable CF case that doesn't block signal would be very expensive unless mass produced.

If I'm honest I don't even know of a carbon composite that doesn't affect attenuation.
Message 10 of 10