cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot receive text messages to my iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a problem whereby I cannot receive texts from certain numbers on my iPhone. I can send to everyone and they get delivered, I can make and recieve calls from everyone, just about half of my contacts texts are not coming through.

Also iMessage has stopped working. Some of the people I can't receive from are on Blackberrys and other types of phones though, so I shouldn't have thought that is the problem.

Things I have already done:

• Taken out the sim and cleaned it.
  • Tried the sim in 2 different handsets, the same problem. So any handset problems are ruled out
  • Spoke to half a dozen 'Gurus'.
  • Reset my iPhone to factory settings. Plenty of other different types of resets.
  • Changed manually to a different network, then back to o2.

I rang o2, the lady was helpful and said she could see these texts I hadn't received on the system, but were just not coming through the network to me, she seemed to have no idea why or how to fix it.

She said she'd send another sim card, but she didn't sound very confident that would work at all, as the sim itself seems to be in perfect working order.

My phone is not jailbroken, or anything like that. It just suddenly started happening on sunday and I didn't realise until monday when I spoke to a couple of people who were surprised I didn't text back.

I get perfect network coverage in my area pretty much all the time, have been with o2 since the BT cellnet days and have never had a problem up until now.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'd agree that you have covered all possibilities at your end so the problem is with the network (yours or the senders) or with your account. Ask CS to reset your account see if it helps.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Has to be the SIM card....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Or possibly the account isn't set up right and the wrong APN's are set.  Have seen it happen.

Ask O2 to confirm you are definitely on an iPhone tariff and also, whilst you're at it, that you have been enabled for the correct idata APN's.

Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

They have confirmed I am definitely on the iPhone simplicity tariff and the APN settings are correct from what I can tell idata which is the pay monthly tariff.

It's driving me mad, still no solution.

The fact that I can get about half of my text messages, but not the other half, just sitting somewhere in virtual space is driving me nuts.

It's just certain people on certain numbers that I can't get texts from.

There seems to be no pattern to it, all these people are on different networks, different types of phones as well.

I will change the sim tomorrow, but I highly suspect it's not going to help having read up all day on people who've had the same problem, that o2 basically don't seem to be able to actually diagnose, other than just saying 'It's the sim' or 'It's the handset'. 

I hope I am wrong.

Message 4 of 15

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If the new sim doesn't cure it get yourself an appointment at your nearest Apple store to get the phone checked out. It's worth a long trip.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

You would walk in & out within 10 minutes with a new phone if it is faulty

Message 6 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
APN's and data package have nothing to do with Text messages either.....

Currently using:
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost certain it's not the handset, as have tried the sim in two other handsets that definitely work today and still have the same problem.

Message 8 of 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That confirms the advice MI5 gave you earlier.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 15