• 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23585898

and direct apple link

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter-takeback/

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some People will always seek out cheaper 3rd party alternatives.

In the Uk an original Apple iPhone plug charger is £10 in cex and £15 in the Apple Store.

For peace of mind I don't find that too expensive.

I'm not sure how much they are in the country this happened, but if they can afford an iPhone sim free or on a contract ,then an accessory like this shouldn't have been an issue.

Especially as one comes as standard in the box.
Message 11 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, £15 is not that expensive has far as chargers go. And especially if its going to have safety features built into it that fake chargers would not.

Message 12 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

£15 for a genuine charger is money well spent.

I only ever buy genuine batteries / chargers for electrical devices now, i've been bitten in the past by non genuine stuff not lasting 5 minutes.

It would be nice if non genuine electronic devices where banned from sale & import in to the UK but thats a long way of from happening at the moment.

Message 13 of 34

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

In the EU though, of which UK is a part, every phone should be able to charge from a microUSB lead which Apple blatantly disregard and charge extra for an adapter. Why should I need to carry more than one charger when they should all be capable of being charged from any manufacturers charger.

Alas fakes, copies and just downright dodgy builds of all items have been around on market stalls and the like since time immemorial, and there not all imports.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 14 of 34

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

the apple charger complies with the eu regs as it has a full size usb socket on the charger. the lead is additional to the eu regs if the adaptor has a usb a socket. http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/sectors/rtte/chargers/get-technical/index_en.htm as stated in the MOU annex II

It is only a micro usb requirement on a fixed lead.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 34

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Apple uses proprietary connectors to make more money. Plain and simple.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 16 of 34

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

lets not get off topic. But O2 on charger less phones supply a usb a to micro lead so any official apple charger can be used to charge any phone that meets the eps specification. It is all about the electronics in the chargers to save electrical waste and not a 1 meter long bit of cable and plugs.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 17 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
We've all got viewpoints on this and all are valid.

I wouldn't buy non original accessories to power or power up a £500+ phone.

Apple supply the correct authentic charger with the iPhone. If the owner wants another for whichever reason then it's their choice to buy original accessories or 3rd party one.

Apple supply the option to buy one from them as do other manufacturers.

Message 18 of 34

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Update this has been extended to the uk and costs £8 a charger see official apple link for clarifaction http://www.apple.com/uk/support/usbadapter-takeback/

Mods please lock the thread

Apple Watch series 4

Message 19 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Update this has been extended to the uk and costs £8 a charger see official apple link for clarifaction http://www.apple.com/uk/support/usbadapter-takeback/

Mods please lock the thread

People criticise Apple for a number of reasons, but I bet there would not be many other manufacturers that would offer to do what Apple are doing with regards to the chargers. Responsible thing to do in my opinion.

Message 20 of 34