cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another long-time O2 customer bites the dust...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was more than happy to commit to another 2 year contract with O2 and pay £300 for a new IPhone 5, however:

- The call centre wanted me to pay £300 now and receive my phone in x weeks - sorry, not acceptable O2 - why not act like every other retailer in the country and charge my card when you dispatch the goods?!

- They also wanted me to become a Carphone Warehouse customer - err, no thanks

- They then suggested I go to a store and upgrade - fine, except they try to charge an extra £61 for the phone!

Amazingly, O2, even their retentions team dont seem to think these are issues, and no-one has any interest or power to resolve these issues or keep me as a customer.

So I will be doing a cheeky DIY battery change on my IPhone4 (and the missus's) to keep them useable, seeing out the rest of my Simplicity term and then moving to a provider that gives a stuff, and also one that invests in my network - I live 4 miles from the West End of London and cantget decent 3g (or even 2g indoors).

A pity, but I have no interest in dealing with companies that just dont give a ****.Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Like you I hate the tie in with CPW. Some companies I just refuse to deal with and O2 do really need to improve their 3G coverage. Around me it is dire bordering on non existent.

Message 2 of 16

jimthing0
Level 8: Talented
  • 412 Posts
  • 23 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Can I make a suggestion...for future reference at least. 

ALWAYS buy an unlocked iPhone direct from Apple. Then sell your old one on Ebay or elsewhere to help subsidise the cost. It's pretty much the same cost as on a subsidised O2 contract anyway, over the course of 18/24 months. 

Your only problem at the moment is WHEREEVER you go, there is a wait of 3-4 weeks. But I'd still just order the handset online with Apple and wait for it to arrive, any day, over waiting the same time for an O2 (via CPW!) one. 

Hope this helps. 

wink

PS. Order ONLINE from Apple: don't waste your time doing the Apple 'reserve for store pick-up tomorrow' system — as many people have said previously that the demand means you'll still be trying to reserve one in 2+ months time! Whereas online, Apple say 3-4 weeks, and I got mine bang-on 3.5 weeks from ordering (usual great Apple online service, I always get!). 

Message 3 of 16

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I do understand your frustration.  I too hate the tie with Carphone Warehouse.  Although if I lived near an O2 shop I would be happy to pay the £61 extra to have my phone from O2.  Unfortunately I couldn't do this and my phone has come from Carphone Warehouse.  But my contract is still with O2, and any problems I have with my phone I will go to Apple with.

Samsung S8
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 are competing with all the other networks so they do give a stuff. If you desperately want one straightaway, go in store or to an apple store rather than online

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've not come across anyone that's been trying for 2 months + in reserving the ip5 with apple.

On my 14th attempt I got my handset.

Have you tried going into your local Apple Store as they do upgrades in house.

Sim free models however are only on reservations at this time.

I know your unhappy with 02 right now but try to remember the grass is not always greener on the other side.

I frequent the other networks forums and they also have their fair share of issues including supplying the ip5.
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very true the grass not always greener on other side, All the networks having same problems my friend on t mobile only received is 32gb model on Tuesday. Good luck though yaffle what ever you decide to do slight_smile
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the grass isnt always greener, but surely it cant be as brown as it is with O2 Smiley Very Happy

Yes I could go to a store and get a phone tomorrow - in fact I did try that.  But I object strongly to companies that charge two different prices for the same product - £61 more for the same phone and contract.  That is underhand and not acceptable.

The Apple Store option to me doesnt look good - the sim-only deals from O2 and others dont seem great value.

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well we have given you advice but its really up to you to decide what's best for you as we have all said that each company has their own strifes, not just o2

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try tesco. 12mth and O2.  

O2 don't want to do this direct but happy to let Tesco get their  old lonf standing top customers! 

Message 10 of 16