cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z1 compact screen cracked by itself

Anonymous
Not applicable
its a crack right across screen level with charger port. My phone is around 4 months old, should this crack still be fixed free or am i looking at £130 repair bill for a new screen. it sits with a protective cover and IN a padded case, phone has nevet been dropped or leaned on but now my screen cant unlock as its pattern locked and its not working.
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is O2s reponse

info: at 22:20:17

Welcome to O2, an O2 Guru will be with you soon.
info: at 22:20:18

You're through to Swapnil.
Swapnil: at 22:20:31

Hello, it's Swapnil here. What can I do for you?
naria: at 22:21:06

hi not sure if you can help. my xperia is Still under warranty and the screen has cracked by itself while being charged up.
naria: at 22:21:51

Swapnil: at 22:22:37

Okay but any physical damage nullifies warranty so do you've Insurance with O2 or any bank or any 3rd party to make a claim?
naria: at 22:23:17

i do not but ony already recognise it as a fault
naria: at 22:24:37

it was not an accident i.e didnt fall, ha never been dropped etc it simply cracked right across on charge
Swapnil: at 22:25:01

Any damage in the phone due to any root cause is a damage that nullifies warranty.
Swapnil: at 22:25:18

Because phone screen never get cracked by itself.
Swapnil: at 22:25:31

Unless there is any pressure on the phone.
Swapnil: at 22:25:42

So its never a manufacturing fault.
Message 31 of 41

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
That's why I said go to Sony
Message 32 of 41

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
That's why I said go to Sony

Exactly. Absolutely pointless trying anything with O2. Sony admitted this was a manufacturing fault in the link you provided. If the OP wants any resolution to this.... the phone has to go to Sony. It is still under warranty after all....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable
i did go to sony but there was already a ticket to o2 lol. i linked the part where sony admitted the fault and was called a liar.

just wanted to see what o2 said. Sony are sending their little envelope but im going to bubble wrap and box the phone with picture of state it was sent in.: )
Message 34 of 41

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
i did go to sony but there was already a ticket to o2 lol. i linked the part where sony admitted the fault and was called a liar.

just wanted to see what o2 said. Sony are sending their little envelope but im going to bubble wrap and box the phone with picture of state it was sent in.: )

Hi @Anonymous  Pictures are a good idea. Make sure you retain copies of everything you send. I honestly think because Sony have recognised this as a fault and it is under warranty you should get it sorted from them. Problem is, if it goes to O2... they send it to their repair centre Anova...who have a very poor reputation.

This is why @viridis (who is our Sony expert on here) recommended that you sent it back to Sony. I certainly wish you the best of luck. Please come back and let us know how you get on

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 35 of 41

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Back it up and remove sd card, Sony have been known to swap them straight out
Message 36 of 41

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Swap the phones that is, not the cards lol
Message 37 of 41

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

And of course remove the sim card. You can be using it in a spare phone if you have one. Free sim adapters are available at the O2 store if your spare phone takes a different size.

Message 38 of 41

lenfish
Level 1: Joiner
  • 23 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So hacking the Sony website worked then!

Regards,

Len

Message 39 of 41

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problems with these phones remain.  My son had his phone in an inside pocket ant took it out to find the screen had cracked.  He had not hit/ dropped it and it was in a case with a screen protector attached.  As the phone was still under Warrenty we took it back to the shop.  The salesman told us that this was a common problem with these phones - this was the first we had heard of it.  Shame they didn't mention it when they sold the phone to us. The phone was sent off under warrenty and 2 days later we were told the reapir wasn't covered so would cost £86.  Having now investigated these problems we reminded them that this was a known issue and all of a sudden they hadn't heard of it.  They told us to contact Sony direct.  Tried this but they also refused to accept it was a  fault with these phones - apparently the compacts aren't affected just all the other Z models. To get them to assess it we were asked to agree to £21 postage & were told screen would be about £150 if they decided it wasn't covered by the warrenty. As a 17 year old kid this is not a risk he could afford to take so had to pay the £86 to O2 as he still has £150 left to pay on his contract. Feel the behaviour of both firms is unforgivable.  Accept this is a fault and stop conning customers. Will never buy Sony again and will leave O2 as soon as we can afford to.

Message 40 of 41