cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi/4g calling on Samsung S7, previously from carphone warehouse.

Mick753
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Having previously bought a Huawei Mate 20 Pro after it was sold to me under the advice in an O2 shop that it would be capable of Wifi calling, I am having to return the phone and take another handset which is capable of using wifi/4g calling.

In the meantime I have my old Samsung S7 SM-G930F which having scoured the various articles both on here and other places as well as on the O2 website, it would appear is perfectly capable of doing what I need it to do whilst I get the new handset sorted.

However the phone was previously bought through Carphone warehouse and registered with O2 so I have had to flash the handset to the latest O2 firmware which to my mind should then allow me to use wifi calling (which is enabled on my airtime contract options).

But, the handset being in perfect working order and being on the CSC: G930TEFS6ESH1 firmware which contains the TEF that the O2 guide mentions it must have, there are still no options in any of the menus on the handset to enable the wifi calling??

I have spoken to O2 Gurus online, and they appear to be stumped by this as the only thing they keep referring to is that flashing the handset will invalidate the warranty, when they get past the point where they accept that the handset is out of warranty, is using the up to date O2 firmware, is on a perfectly working handset they finally get round to trying to point me to where in the phone settings the wifi calling options are, but from that point on they are then unable to direct me any further and simply told me I should visit a shop!

Is there anyone on here that can confirm that having a handset with that firmware on, having flashed it from another providers firmware, the handset should now allow wifi calling through O2?

Everything i am reading suggests it should?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'll give that a try as it certainly can't do any harm i guess.

as for the flashing, i appreciate it cant be discussed on here, but it was via the standard way of doing it as described on all the normal places to download the firmware.

Message 11 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well it didn't do any harm, but then it didn't resolve the problem either.

3 factory resets to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the towel has been chucked in as it would appear that there is something that I am clearly missing or the phone just doesn't want to do what it is supposed to be doing.

Message 12 of 25

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You are 100% sure it's enabled on your account?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
100%

That was the first thing i checked.

I've now done a factory reset, reflashed to the latest O2U Firmware again, factory reset and it's still the same.

Even had myself questioning whether or not it was a Samsung S7!!!!

But unless there is something stopping the settings being added when it gets updated then I have no idea what the problem is.

What is apparent is that when the phone boots up on the O2U firmware it loads in German so I am assuming it is a multi region CSC, although I wouldn't have thought that should be a problem?
Message 14 of 25

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
The S7 will work on TEF, BTU or XEU firmware, so that's not the problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In which case this leads me to believe that this is a problem at O2's end.

Everything that has been done at my end has been done without a single problem.

Message 16 of 25

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Hence why I asked if you were sure it was enabled by O2.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did actually wonder if there was some sort of keyboard tapping that needed to be done to make this work at their end to be fair.

As much as my account options are telling me that wifi/4G calling is enabled I couldn't be 100% certain that it needs resetting there too?

Message 18 of 25

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Got to be worth a call to have it disabled then re-enabled.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 25

Mick753
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I suspect the 30 minutes i have been on an online chat with a guru is going to be 30 minutes i'm never getting back.

I decided to request that the wifi/4g calling be turned off and on but it would appear that it isn't that easy, having gone through the whole process of telling him exactly what the problem is, has been and and what has been done so far, i've been transferred to 2nd line as they have no idea why it isn't working.

Message 20 of 25