cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taking phone abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi i am taking my htc one from barceona to rio on a cruise. i have not used a one abroad before. i have a monthy contract with 1000 minutes and 1 g of data.. i would like to make the odd call abroad will these be included on contract? how can i avoid massive data roamin bills. if i keep phone on aeroplane mode at all times? wifi is v pricey on a cruise ship would it be worth buying a bolt on 1 g data for 10.99 bfore i go. i use whats app and fb. also what do i do if i lose my phone or it is stolen. thank you xx

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Good morning..Firstly  If you search the forum you will find nothing but horror stories from anyone who has ever used their phone on a cruise ship. The general rule of thumb is to avoid using your phone while on board.

Best thing to do is wait till you dock then find somewhere with free wifi

Have a look at this thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/m-p/1058892#M131191

You could also ring the cruise line before you travel and ask them for the costs of using your phone onboard

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Good morning..Firstly  If you search the forum you will find nothing but horror stories from anyone who has ever used their phone on a cruise ship. The general rule of thumb is to avoid using your phone while on board.

Best thing to do is wait till you dock then find somewhere with free wifi

Have a look at this thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cruise-Liners-Aircraft-Charges/m-p/1058892#M131191

You could also ring the cruise line before you travel and ask them for the costs of using your phone onboard

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi that is very helpful thank you. excuse my ignorance but if i take my sim out will i avoid any extra charges. if i then put it in on shore with free wifi and aeroplane mode on  could send some whats app photos for free. what is this £4.99 o2 abroad charge and how do i avoid this i am going to a few countires so worried this may be a problem. should i tell o2 i am going abroad and if so how do i do this thanks

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Just turn your phone OFF when on board.

If you are travelling outside Europe you will need O2 Travel (included in this link)

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/using-your-phone-abroad

I stress again these charges apply only when you are on land... not on board the ship

Its too difficult to list all the charges as you say you are travelling around.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

I know people who haven't incurred any charges when cruising. Simply kept their phones off whilst on the ship....and made use of WiFi when they were in port and on land..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

should i tell o2 i am going abroad and if so how do i do this thanks

PS If you want to tell O2 you are going abroad then give them a call https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Just to stress the point.
Free WiFi and Phone in airplane mode at all times.
In fact safer if you don’t take it at all!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Especially in Rio !!

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Especially in Rio !!

For sure. 

As someone who has cruised many times, I heartily concur, leave your phone switched off on board..

Taking out the sim card will probably end up with a lost sim card at some stage. Just leave it switched off anywhere near the ship and enjoy the cruising experience without worry or stress about charges. It's surprising how you can get along just fine without having your eyes glued to Facebook and the like. 

Message 8 of 11

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
I was thinking more of the mugging culture that pervades most of Rio but especially the tourist areas......local gangs of kids can spot you a mile off.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 9 of 11

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:
I was thinking more of the mugging culture that pervades most of Rio but especially the tourist areas......local gangs of kids can spot you a mile off.

My son went with his girlfriend last summer and two people in the same hostel had their phones and money taken by a gang of youths. Local police weren't really interested and this was despite big warning notices in the hostel.

Message 10 of 11