cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim swap upgrade problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had a new Samsung galaxy s8 delivered today along with a new sim card in order to retire my ageing Nokia 925.

I have followed all the instructions I could find and carried them out to the letter, to the point that just after 1715hrs my Nokia fell silent with 'NO SERVICE'. However since then, my nice new Samsung hasn't sprung into life at all and now at 2350hrs I am still sat here with no means of making or receiving any calls.

Is this normal to go over 6 and a half hours without any phone service at all?

I had to go out at 1800hrs and have only recently returned, although I did receive a Text at 1900hrs, so didn't think much of it until I have returned, but this has meant that I had no chance of calling O2 Guru's, so does anyone have an out of hours contact for O2.

Everyone has been telling me that going from a Nokia 925 with windows to a Samsung with Android was going to be a major pain but I didn't think it would mean such along period of 'No Service'

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Did you do a sim swap? http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ Have you done as @jonsie has suggested?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for asking, but yes I have switched the phones off and the samsung back on again, several times now.

I have also left the samsung switched off for about 15 minutes during the last hour and at the same time I have also taken the sim card back out and checked that it has been contaminated with anything.

I have gone through all the settings I can see but can't see anything that would stop the phone from making or receiving calls

Message 4 of 13

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Did you swap your number to the new sim? The sim you were given with the new phone would have been blank with no info.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I followed the instructions on the card that the sim was in and did the sim swap online. I got a reply with the code which I used straight away, then got a confirmation that it had been received. My Nokia went to 'No Service' just a few minutes later, but the new Samsung hasn't got service yet.

Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the sim swap online and the first question is the phone number to which I received a text, then I entered the code they sent plus the new sim serial number, after which I received a text saying it was confirmed so I must have.

Or have I missed something?

Message 7 of 13

Bambino
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It can take 24 hours for the number to swap. The system updates overnight, so it may just have been bad timing on your part. Try again in the morning. If your new sim still hasn't activated, either contact Customer Service, or call into an O2 store if you have one nearby. The only other thing I can think of is that the new sim may be faulty and you may need another https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Obviously the swap has failed and now the best option is to call customer service.

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I wouldn't recommend live chat for this but if you have to then scroll to the bottom of the page on the link and click on how to make a complaint and use the chat link on that page.

Either way, best time is around 8.30am. 

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must say I did see '24hrs' mentioned in the confirmation text. However I thought that it meant that the 'service' could take 24 hours to change from one phone/sim to the other phone/sim, I didn't read it to mean that the old sim would be shut down immediately and then I would have to wait 24 hrs for the new one to work.

That said if it isn't on by 0800hrs, I will be calling the O2 call centre for assistance a few seconds after 0800hrs.

Message 10 of 13