cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lose data signal whilst on phone call

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

I have a samsung galaxy s4, i have a lot of problems in general with o2 data signal. Can anyone let me know why we lose data sgnal whilst on a phone call. Other networks dont have a problem they can multi task whilst on a phone call but with o2 you cant do that because when you are on a phone call, the data signal disappears, so iyou cant check mail, get whatsapp messages etc.

Is this a network problem or a settings problem??

thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the Community Forum,

Occasionally turning the phone off , clean the SIM card and battery pull (phone model dependant) and turn the phone back on clears lots of glitches.

Does this occur at home or everywhere ?

Has this just started happening ?

Have you checked your Service Status via your full postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk to see if your masts are ok.

I'm on a 4G tariff so as voice calls do not currently work over 4G my phone drops to 3G or lower ,and after a call returns to 4G after a few seconds.

However you shouldn't be losing a data connection altogether.

You could try removing the SIM card and wiping it with a soft dry cloth to see if that helps.

Or even as a process of elimination you could try your Sim card in another phone to see if it's the phone, or SIM card ,or try a payg sim in your phone.

If you visit an O2 store and ask for a blank account specific SIM card they would perform a sim swap which moves your number and tariff over if you think your own sim may be the issue.

This process takes from a few minutes to approx 24 hours to fully settle. (Turning your phone off and on helps the reset)

It does seem that lots of people are experiencing mast congestion across the Uk ,which is something you cannot do anything about.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are on edge or GPRS symbol E or the little dot when you make the call you will lose the data as they can't handle both at once if you are on 3G it should both work on 4g it will drop when making a call now the problem may be that it is dropping below 3G in which case you will lose the data it's all down to how strong your connection is to the mast at the time of making the call
Message 3 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

On 2G you get either data or calls, not both

On 3G you get data AND calls and works fine for me on O2

On 4G you get data only

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's possible that you are on a fringe coverage area and the phone is dropping to 2G whilst on a call which would point to a network rather than phone issue?

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You may Have your answer here already but we can't be sure unless we know what type of signal you are receiving at the time of the call?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous welcome to the community forum!
How did you get on?
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI,

thanks for replying, i work in Leeds city center and the coverage is really good. soon as i receive or make a call the internet/ data signal disappears altogether. 

Thanks

kamran

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

So do I funnily enough @Anonymous

I'm on a 4g tariff on an iPhone 5s

My signal drops from 4G to 3G during a call.
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That is quite consistent. When I am in a call in a 2g area I lose data altogether.
Message 10 of 10