Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z2 Update to protect from Stagefright?

GUK
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm wondering when O2-UK will get an update to protect us fully from the Stagefright exploit? So far, many (if not most) carriers around the world have updated to 23.4.A.1.232. I believe this protects mostly (but not completely) from Stagefright. In the UK, most carriers (including O2) are still on version 23.4.A.1.200. Vodafone is the exception - they are rolling out a version numbered 23.4.A.1.236.

Can someone from Sony give us any idea when a new software version will be rolling out to protect us, please? Or are we waiting for Marshmallow, when everything will be updated [b]and[/b] we'll be protected?

I would like an update from a Sony representative please, not just a forum regular who says [i]"It'll be ready when it's ready!!"[/i], or [i]"I'm sure something will happen soon!!"[/i]. These are serious questions which Sony should have answered without having to be asked. I realise an exact date probably won't be official, but if you could give us some sort of idea, that would at least be adequate, I suppose. And also, a reason why the UK seems to be one of the last regions to see this update.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@GUKo2 wrote:

I'm wondering when O2-UK will get an update to protect us fully from the Stagefright exploit? So far, many (if not most) carriers around the world have updated to 23.4.A.1.232. I believe this protects mostly (but not completely) from Stagefright. In the UK, most carriers (including O2) are still on version 23.4.A.1.200. Vodafone is the exception - they are rolling out a version numbered 23.4.A.1.236.

Can someone from Sony give us any idea when a new software version will be rolling out to protect us, please? Or are we waiting for Marshmallow, when everything will be updated [b]and[/b] we'll be protected?

I would like an update from a Sony representative please, not just a forum regular who says [i]"It'll be ready when it's ready!!"[/i], or [i]"I'm sure something will happen soon!!"[/i]. These are serious questions which Sony should have answered without having to be asked. I realise an exact date probably won't be official, but if you could give us some sort of idea, that would at least be adequate, I suppose. And also, a reason why the UK seems to be one of the last regions to see this update.

Thank you.

We don't have representatives from vendors here but I can typically fill in and find out if I don't have the info to hand. I've checked into this for you and we're currently awaiting receipt of the 232 software for testing and approval - once received, this typically lasts a week or two and is then sent back to Sony for release if no issues are found. That said, it's difficult to be more precise with a date but sometime in the latter half of November may be likely... I'll keep folk posted though.

The 236 update you've seen is a network specific one - the main update is just 232 but it has specific changes the network requires, which isn't uncommon so don't worry if you see some networks with different versions of updates - usually they're all the same but with network specific changes.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GUKo2 wrote:

Thank you.

No one from Sony will read this. You'll get it when everyone else gets it

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122133 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hi @GUK

This is an O2 customer to customer forum....so as said... no-one from Sony will read your post

@Chris_K is our man in the know (at O2) re updates etc. I have mentioned him in this thread so he can update you. We also have a couple of Sony experts @viridis and @MI5 who may also have more information than me

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Chris_K will be able to inform you of O2's upcoming firmwares but cannot comment for Sony.
If you visit http://talk.sonymobile.com/ you can ask Sony directly there, however you will probably find the same answer, it will be released (by o2) once testing and modification is complete, not before.
Message 4 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143190 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Sony have already updated my generic Z1 so I assume the same for z2.
I guess it's down to o2 testing now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 7

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@GUKo2 wrote:

Thank you.

We don't have representatives from vendors here but I can typically fill in and find out if I don't have the info to hand. I've checked into this for you and we're currently awaiting receipt of the 232 software for testing and approval - once received, this typically lasts a week or two and is then sent back to Sony for release if no issues are found. That said, it's difficult to be more precise with a date but sometime in the latter half of November may be likely... I'll keep folk posted though.

The 236 update you've seen is a network specific one - the main update is just 232 but it has specific changes the network requires, which isn't uncommon so don't worry if you see some networks with different versions of updates - usually they're all the same but with network specific changes.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 6 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
To add, it usually is vodafone with unique firmware numbers on xperia devices.
Message 7 of 7