Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Z Android 4.4.4

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions
Sony have announced this will be happening in the next few weeks and that it will fix the chronic issues with battery life that have been present since the 4.4.2 update.

Does anyone with an inside line to O2 know when we will actually be getting it?
Having to recharge three times per day without actually using the phone is a little frustrating.....
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Australia always seem to be one of the first countries serviced by Sony for updates.
O2 will take their usual time to check everything works to their liking before rolling it out......
I know Chris is looking into it so hopefully he can update us soon.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 30

Topcat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 37 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Today I received a message that an update was available and that it needs to be done via a computer. About 15 minutes later, 4.4.4 firmware successfully installed.
Re-activated location services and so far google play services only account for 9% of battery use. Sony xperia Z on O2 contract
Message 12 of 30

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Finally seems they got something right - They just need to sort out the SP now 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 30

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Is it an OTA update then or one that's needs connecting to the pc companion? Will give it a go later today when I get home.
Ironically I bought a second hand Xperia SP to keep me going till the Z was updated - it lags awfully! Sounds like it won't be getting an update though 😞
Message 15 of 30

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Usually pc first then ota a few days later.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 30

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks MI5, just updating pc companion then will see. Some say to hard reset the phone before updating - is this necessary?
Message 17 of 30

Topcat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 37 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just a quick update re google play services, running at 18% but a lot better than 80% or more that it was before. Have not really noticed anything else, battery life is currently 37% from a full charge at about 7am. But using a lot of hands free bluetooth during the day so not sure if this has a major effect.
Message 18 of 30

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Sammy_boy wrote:
Some say to hard reset the phone before updating - is this necessary?

I find it less so required with Sony devices as it seems with Samsung, but if you notice any strange behavior or lagging after the update it is wise to consider it.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 30

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks @MI5, finally got PC companion updated (and my very slow Windows laptop restarted!) and connected the phone and so far no update 😞
Think it's a sim-free model, which I think hasn't had the updated through yet? Will keep checking PC Companion though.
Cheers for the info re. resetting, didn't fancy signing back into all my apps again and setting them up again unless I have to!
Message 20 of 30