Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia XZ and Android 7.1.1 in the UK

GUK
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi - I've noticed via XperiFirm (yes, and checking with PC Companion) that in the UK, Vodafone, Virgin and EE have already upgraded XZ phones to android 7.1.1. Is there a specific reason O2 are lagging behind? Three haven't done it yet, but I don't even think they've even pushed out the security update which the rest of us got about a month ago.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Bit disppointing, but fair play; if there is a problem then it would be pretty silly to release it. I hope you can fix it soon though. Still, thank you for the honest reply.

Some people on the Sony Xperia XZ forum are complaining about massive battery drain with 7.1.1 but to be honest, whenever something new comes out, some people on that forum apparently have catastrophic problems with it (and it wouldn't be O2 or UK specific anyway).

Thanks again for the reply.
Message 11 of 44

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@GUK wrote:
Some people on the Sony Xperia XZ forum are complaining about massive battery drain with 7.1.1 

Yeah, some only get 5- 6hours screen on time....Rolleys

Message 12 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I read those "reports" too. They're surely either lying (or staging it somehow, like running a benchmark app at full-pelt), or there's something very seriously wrong with their phone which doesn't have anything to do with Android.

It would be interesting to know something about what is unique about the O2 network that is slowing the release of the upgrade, though. As I said, every other UK operator has done it now... apart from Three, who have a history of being slow for reasons I've not seen an explanation for. Their latest build is 39.2.A.0.361.

Just very intriguing.

Message 13 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It'll be another week now at least, because for as long as I can remember (going back to when the Xperia T was new), Wednesday is system update day for Sony.

Message 14 of 44

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Everyday the system has updates, it could be any time after o2 send it back.
However UK unlocked fw is also held back because of the way UK firmwares work..

Message 15 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's available now, via both OTA and Xperia Companion.

I was wrong about the Wednesday thing, so sorry. Glad I was wrong, though! Cheers O2.

Message 16 of 44

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all, 

Just wanted to confirm that the Nougat 7.1.1 update has been approved so if you've not already got it, you should hopefully see it within the next week or so. Let us know how you get on slight_smile

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 17 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I had to search quite a way back through the threads on here to find my username!

I'm essentially posting for the same reason. Last month I think all UK networks got the August Android security update right away, but this time around only EE (of the UK operators, that is) have got it.

If you prefer numbers to words (or prefer both):

The August Android security update changed the XZ's build to 41.2.A.7.53

The September Android security update changes it to 41.2.A.7.65

The numbering makes it sound like an absolutely tiny update, but it is an official Android security update we're talking about.

Also, it's simply "an update", so selfishly, of course I want it as soon as possible.

If you want a source for the facts about the build change see here. I'm saying that UK EE users have already got it because that's what XperiFirm tells me.

Think that wraps everything up - so come on O2, let's have the new update please. Cheers.

Message 18 of 44

GUK
  • 50 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Virgin Mobile UK have got it now. Vodafone still haven't got August's security updates, so presumably they aren't bothering any more.

I'm not going to shut up about it because O2 are the only people in the supply chain left to "remind" now that Google have updated Android, and Sony have approved/adapted/issued the updates for the XZ.

Google messed up badly last week by breaking the Play Store completely I think, and also now there's an additional exploit which only Oreo users are immune to. Sony will be updating the XZ to Oreo, by the way, they've officially announced it. So you're officially not allowed to forget about XZ users yet :silly winky face:

Message 19 of 44

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
They won't.
Message 20 of 44