cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia L1 & laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to 'co-ordinate' deletions of emails on my Xperia L1 & laptop ?

Currently, I have to delete unwanted emails off my phone & off my laptop separately

Thank you for any help offerred

Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

No worries, I'll start by making the assumption that you are using the gmail app on phone. 

This means that you don't need to change anything on that device.

I'll also make the assumption that you are using Outlook for emails on your laptop?

If so, and I hope you don't mind, but there is a Dummy's guide to setting up gmail on Outlook here https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/using-microsoft-outlook-with-gmail/

Just make sure you complete all the steps carefully.

I'm stepping out for a while now, so if it's not Outlook, let me know and I'll help further later.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous 

Yes. You need the email accounts setting up as imap rather than POP3 accounts on both devices.

You will currently have one or both devices set up as POP3.

This involves a change to your incoming and outgoing servers and ports so I need to know your email provider to give you the settings.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @MI5 ... though I'm not completely sure of what your response means = my fault as I am a permanent tech numpty

Chrome ... would that be it ... or ... I am on Gmail

Hope that gives you some of the right info

Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Are you using the gmail app on the phone?
Which email client are you using on laptop?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Are you using the gmail app on the phone?
Which email client are you using on laptop?

I don't remember downloading a Gmail app on the phone

@MI5 sorry ... but ... will you explain what 'email client' is please ?

My phone screen shows at the top Gmail when I list the emails ... is this helpful ?

Message 5 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

No worries, I'll start by making the assumption that you are using the gmail app on phone. 

This means that you don't need to change anything on that device.

I'll also make the assumption that you are using Outlook for emails on your laptop?

If so, and I hope you don't mind, but there is a Dummy's guide to setting up gmail on Outlook here https://www.dummies.com/programming/networking/using-microsoft-outlook-with-gmail/

Just make sure you complete all the steps carefully.

I'm stepping out for a while now, so if it's not Outlook, let me know and I'll help further later.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @MI5 

I don't think my laptop is on Outlook ... but ... I will check further later ... as ... I'm about to go offline

Message 7 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Let me know.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @MI5 

I double click on Google Chrome to 'kickstart' the laptop ... is that a piece of useful info ?

I can post a screenshot of my 'basic' email page (covering up my email address)

I could also post a screenshot of my laptop 'start-up' page

I could also post a screenshot of my basic phone page

Thank you for you posting the link to Dummy Guide to setting up Gmail on Outlook 

Hope the above gives you some idea of where I'm at 

Message 9 of 29

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous if you can post a screenshot of your email page on laptop, that would be helpful, although the easiest way would be to setup Outlook as described in the link.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 29