Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Wrong Network ID on Samsung Galaxy

My phone is reporting that i am logged into Vodafone IE
When searching for available networks on my phone O2 is not listed.
But the O2 UK network is available.
It appears that the o2 network is being identified as Vodafone IE instead of O2 UK - i am definitely not roaming and the real vodafone IE network is not available at my location
Can anyone help - my local o2 shop was unable to help me -they even did a sim swap but it didn't work.
I am located in N Ireland but very far from ROI networks, so it's impossible to be roaming on Vodafone IE.
I have a Samsung Galaxy running Android (Firmware Version 2.1-update1)
Hope someone can solve this problem.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Wrong Network ID on Samsung Galaxy

I've upgraded the firmware to froyo still the same problem.
The phone says i'm logged into vodafone IE. but i'm actually on o2 !
Can anyone tell me if the carrier ID can be changed by the phone either manually or over the air?
Tried customer care - they advised me to upgrade - it made no difference.
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/23 ... e_network/
This might something to do with it
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for that - but the deal between vodafone & o2 was two years ago.
The issue i have just happened within the last month and why isn't all o2 phones reporting the network as vodafone IE ?? It's got to be an android problem.
Highlighted
Anonymous

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/23/telefonica_vodafone_network/
This might something to do with it

This won't be the cause. Vodafone and o2 don't share networks, only cell sites and some generic equipment such as power supplies, cooling systems etc.
Easiest way to put it is that instead of both networks putting up a pole and bolting their transmitter to it. They now put up one pole and share it Smiley Very Happy
Highlighted
Anonymous

Any Android experts out there who can help?
Or can anyone point me in the right direction for help on this issue.
O2 Customer Care will just tell you to take the battery out and do a factory reset - doesn't work!
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well it used to be that the phone reads the network number which is programmed on the SIM and then compares it with a database to come up with the name. I think this is still the case
It could be a glitch in the database or it may be a corrupted SIM. Has anyone else got an O2 SIM you could try? If not get a replacement SIM and try that
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for info - I tried my friend's o2 sim - the phone is still reporting the network as vodafone IE with her o2 sim. It has to be some setting within the phone causing this.
The only difference was that her number was shown in settings, my number is "unknown". But it can't really be unknown as people can ring me - the phone works normally otherwise.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Well it used to be that the phone reads the network number which is programmed on the SIM and then compares it with a database to come up with the name. I think this is still the case
It could be a glitch in the database or it may be a corrupted SIM. Has anyone else got an O2 SIM you could try? If not get a replacement SIM and try that

I don't think the 'network number' has ever been read from the SIM in that way.
The network signal contains (amongst other things) two codes. The MCC identifies the country and the MNC identifies the network. Associated with these are two display names , basically short (eg Voda) and long (Vodafone - IE). Vodafone Ireland is 272 01 and O2-UK is 234 10 .
I suspect you are correct that in this particular handset the display names are incorrect, perhaps when converted into graphic form for display? Or if a custom ROM has been used.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for info - I tried my friend's o2 sim - the phone is still reporting the network as vodafone IE with her o2 sim. It has to be some setting within the phone causing this.
The only difference was that her number was shown in settings, my number is "unknown". But it can't really be unknown as people can ring me - the phone works normally otherwise.

That's nothing to worry about. The SIM has a contact that can hold the phone number. Its purely for information. The phone number can either be put there when the SIM is manufactured or manually entered (with many phones). With all the number porting, replacement SIMs etc. Its unusual for the SIM to show the correct number nowadays.