Did you mean: 

Worrying new bug

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions

Morning all.

Spotted this article while reading some news sites which prompted a few concerns.

First the article - broadpwn smartphone malware bug

Second a summary - basically your phone can be remotely hacked using only the wi-fi chip on your phone, and you won't know about it.

Now my concern. The article says that if you update to the July security patch then it is covered. I have just checked my phone and I am still on the July 2016 patch!

So, who issues these and how do I get updates? Are they part of the OS so I would need to be on version 7.x or Android before I can get it?

Many thanks for your time and input!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Reading that doesn't exactly sound like it's anything to get excited about, but to answer the question, updates come from the manufacturer.
They are either pushed out directly for unbranded phones or after network approval for ones with network specific firmware on them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Reading that doesn't exactly sound like it's anything to get excited about, but to answer the question, updates come from the manufacturer.
They are either pushed out directly for unbranded phones or after network approval for ones with network specific firmware on them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Seems I have a worrying new bug. ....well, maybe not so new now but worrying nonetheless. 

To be honest new scare stories pop up all the time and I really don't think this is one to get too worried about.

Message 3 of 3