Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling

BADVOODOO
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a Galaxy S8 Plus originally bought unlocked from Carphone Warehouse had for the last 4 days been attempting to enable Wi-Fi calling this option is on my phone. Have had multiple calls with O2 support who have activated and deactivated the service multiple times then saying on two different occasions I have to wait another 24 hours. The icon when they do this does come on the screen but disappears within 20 minutes this is now happened 3 times. I'm assuming the icon needs to be on the screen to show that the system is active. Now I have red on a number of forms that you need a phone purchased from O2 for this to work but according to O2 my phone and it's software because it has the latest update is ok. My question is has anyone got anything to say about this that can help me something I can say to O2 or a direct Response from O2. I would like just to get this sorted out
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
Please see page below about WiFi calling:
https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

The list of compatible devices from that page are:
iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone X, iPhone Xr, iPhone 8 Plus, 8, 7 Plus, 7, 6s Plus, 6s, 6 Plus, 6, SE
Samsung Galaxy S9, S9 Plus, S8, S8 Plus, Note8, S7, S7 edge and J3 2017, A8, A3 2017, A6, J6, J5 (2017), A5 (2017), Note9, A7, J6+, J4+, A9
Sony Xperia XZ2, Xperia XZ3, XZ2 Compact, XZ Premium, Xperia XA2, Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
Oneplus 5, 5T, 6, 6T
HTC U11
Doro 8035

There is another page that goes into detail about Android versions (for Samsung):
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling#samsung-setup

This says that your firmware needs to include ‘TEF’, ‘O2U’ or ‘OTF’ in order to work...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 6

BADVOODOO
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Well O2 customer service have said nothing about compatible software all they've done is ask me does it have the latest updates where did I get it from they haven't said that is not compatible it is on that compatible list this is kind of what I'm saying I'm going round in circles here with them
Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
S8 should work on any UK unbranded or O2 firmware.
It's only the J3 that needs O2 specific.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

woodmj
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 55 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
^ This exactly as written by O2 on their own FAQ. But trying to get CS to accept it & not bin off your call straight away is a whole different ball game.

Saying that here's something to try to get your WiFi calling working (assuming the S8 & S9 are similar) for me to get WiFi calling to work I have to put my S9 into Flight Mode & then just re-enable WiFi. For me at least WiFi calling will not work if my phone can see any kind of O2 cellular signal.
Obviously you would need to switch off Flight Mode to put the cellular radio back on to use O2's masts again.
Hope that helps.
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I think that's a Samsung thing as it's not possible to set wifi calling as a priority.
At least that's how my OP6 works.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6