Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling - Coming soon to Huawei P20 & P20 Pro

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

And no, that's not some cruel joke... It's happening. It's on the way. And it's right around the corner.

tenor.gif

The over-the-air update is due to start tomorrow. Huawei will be releasing this update g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y, with more devices added next week, before opening the update to everyone at the end of the month. So if you don't see it available straight away, don't worry - you should get it soon.

We know many of you with P20's or P20 Pro's have been patiently awaiting this update for a long time and we want to apologise for that. Unfortunately, implementing Wifi Calling on supported devices is often not an easy, straight-forward or fast process. Sometimes it's straight forward enough that we can implement the functionality before we even start selling a device, and sometimes, it's not that easy. We've been working closely with Huawei on this for many, many, many months and we're finally there... Thanks for sticking with us!

For our P30 series customers... Due to the complexities of implementing our Wifi Calling, our immediate focus was on the P20 devices. In theory however, finally getting it out for the P20's may make the process easier, but as soon as there's more to share, we will.

Interested in how O2 handles software updates? Click here for more.
Interested in how O2 handles Wifi Calling updates? Click here for more.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
O2 and EE have configured WiFi / 4G Calling using different technologies so would be unfair to compare. As with everything we always recommend you go with the network that offers you what you want
Message 41 of 58

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@JimBobFlobbaDob wrote:
@nat_148
Don't except that lie the p30 pro has supported volte and wifi calling since launch my partners is on EE and has access to both features all this is down to o2 don't let them scapegoat someone else for their purposeful cutting of features

Sorry @JimBobFlobbaDob - I perhaps should have clarified that I'm of course only referring to the devices capabilities on the O2 network. I do not know what devices EE currently support, but as outlined above, our Wifi & 4G calling technology differs to that of EE's, and getting it 'baked into' phones involves different processes, testing methodologies, and may differ from device to device.

This doesn't make the situation any easier for customers unfortunately, but I just wanted to explain and clarify some differences.

Also just to clarify, and to be clear, getting the functionality enabled for O2's P30 Pro customers is something both O2 and Huawei need to work together on - it is not purely down to only us, or only Huawei, and requires work from both sides... Which we are trying to do ASAP, but it's a complex technology and unfortunately does mean getting it on some devices might be more difficult and take longer than on others I'm afraid.

As soon as there's more info and updates to share, i'll keep y'all in the loop.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 42 of 58

TheChef
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
How come it took 5 months to let us know there was a problem with the previous update?

What is even more frustrating is I have received the update to 9.1.0.345 and there is still no VoWiFi or VoLTE capability. And no option to turn it on.

Fool me once...
Message 43 of 58

nat_148
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So @Chris_K are we any closer to an answer for wifi calling on the p30 Pro yet?
Message 44 of 58

youngy
  • 6 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yea any new on WiFi calling for P30 Pro or have I got to sell it n move network
Message 45 of 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@youngy wrote:
Yea any new on WiFi calling for P30 Pro or have I got to sell it n move network

That would be the quickest way......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 46 of 58

JimBobFlobbaDob
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They aren't going to add it at this point I'd just drop o2 while you can they are full of promises and lies.
Message 47 of 58

JonDC
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After periodically, and rather folornly,  checking for the wifi calling on my P20 Pro, rather amazed this evening to discover it is finally active and working.

Message 48 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That must have been a nice surprise!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 58

jonsie