Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling - Coming soon to Huawei P20 & P20 Pro

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

And no, that's not some cruel joke... It's happening. It's on the way. And it's right around the corner.

tenor.gif

The over-the-air update is due to start tomorrow. Huawei will be releasing this update g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y, with more devices added next week, before opening the update to everyone at the end of the month. So if you don't see it available straight away, don't worry - you should get it soon.

We know many of you with P20's or P20 Pro's have been patiently awaiting this update for a long time and we want to apologise for that. Unfortunately, implementing Wifi Calling on supported devices is often not an easy, straight-forward or fast process. Sometimes it's straight forward enough that we can implement the functionality before we even start selling a device, and sometimes, it's not that easy. We've been working closely with Huawei on this for many, many, many months and we're finally there... Thanks for sticking with us!

For our P30 series customers... Due to the complexities of implementing our Wifi Calling, our immediate focus was on the P20 devices. In theory however, finally getting it out for the P20's may make the process easier, but as soon as there's more to share, we will.

Interested in how O2 handles software updates? Click here for more.
Interested in how O2 handles Wifi Calling updates? Click here for more.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

TheChef
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah, thanks for the tip!
Message 31 of 58

Pawel_K
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Chris_K
Any update on wifi / 4G calling please?
Message 32 of 58

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Chris_K any news on this? and the P30 series?
Message 33 of 58

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey all,

Wanted to come back to you all with some updates, but firstly, my apologies to all. We're unable to go into the specifics but Huawei have had some recurring issues implementing our Wifi & 4G Calling tech into their software and unfortunately these aren't quick or easy fixes, but we continue working closely with them to make it happen.

P20 and P20 Pro
Huawei started rolling out an update to these users last week which enabled Wifi Calling. This is a gradual update that will push out and become available to all in the coming days/weeks.

For the P30 and P30 Pro, we're working with Huawei to understand more and will let you know when we have more details to share.

Message 34 of 58

OldWatchman
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Chris_K - Any word on the Mate 20 Pro?
Message 35 of 58

nat_148
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Chris_K- as you seem to be the go to with regard to the Huawei phones and WiFi calling I thought I would try this thread before I make a decision to leave o2.
I was misinformed on two occasions by o2 that the p30 Pro that I have purchased had wifi calling and have since been in touch with customer support who have told me that due to the misinformation they are happy for me to give the phone back and cancel my contract, and told me that the issues with wifi calling on Huawei are down to Huawei and not o2. When I then contact Huawei for information their end they say that o2 have the software required from them, but have simply not released it yet? Now for o2 as one of the biggest providers not to have this available is pretty poor in the first, let alone to have staff misleading customers into making purchases based on false information.
So can you answer if the p30 Pro will have WiFi calling or not in the near future, and also shed some light on who is responsible for resolving the issue, yourselves or Huawei?
Message 36 of 58

JimBobFlobbaDob
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They did the exact same to me but refused to help at all saying "you should have researched the handset". Which if you look anywhere clearly states the p30 pro supports volte and wifi calling yet o2 claim it doesn't then goes on to blame Huawei.
Message 37 of 58

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@nat_148 wrote:
@Chris_K- as you seem to be the go to with regard to the Huawei phones and WiFi calling I thought I would try this thread before I make a decision to leave o2.
I was misinformed on two occasions by o2 that the p30 Pro that I have purchased had wifi calling and have since been in touch with customer support who have told me that due to the misinformation they are happy for me to give the phone back and cancel my contract, and told me that the issues with wifi calling on Huawei are down to Huawei and not o2. When I then contact Huawei for information their end they say that o2 have the software required from them, but have simply not released it yet? Now for o2 as one of the biggest providers not to have this available is pretty poor in the first, let alone to have staff misleading customers into making purchases based on false information.
So can you answer if the p30 Pro will have WiFi calling or not in the near future, and also shed some light on who is responsible for resolving the issue, yourselves or Huawei?

Sorry to hear you've been misinformed about the P30 Pro's capabilities @nat_148. The P30 Pro never launched with Wifi Calling and hasn't yet received any updates that enable this functionality - but we do hope to begin testing a new Android 10 P30 Pro software build before the end of the year. If all goes well, we then just need to wait for a schedule from Huawei on when the update will be released.

This isn't set in stone though, because we have tested builds before that have had different issues - and we will never knowingly release a network feature that could result in a negative customer experience. If this build continues to have issues with Wifi Calling performance, this will be further delayed while both O2's devices team and Huawei's software engineers continue to work on a solution and fix.

Due to the festive period slowing things down a bit, I'm hopeful we'll find out more about how the testing of this new build has went early in the new year - which i'll of course keep you all updated on, as and when I hear more.

Message 38 of 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93156 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

JimBobFlobbaDob
  • 10 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@nat_148
Don't except that lie the p30 pro has supported volte and wifi calling since launch my partners is on EE and has access to both features all this is down to o2 don't let them scapegoat someone else for their purposeful cutting of features
Message 40 of 58