cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling stopped working Galaxy S7 (Sept 2018)

Absurdity
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

This is not a question, but a description of an issue I recently had and it's solution - hopefully it helps others in a similar situation.

Issue: WiFi calling (and VoLTE / 4G calling) was set up and working fine, but suddenly stopped working in the afternoon on 8 September 2018.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7 (open market - not bought from o2, latest firmware updates installed)

Solution: Uninstall and Reinstall My o2 app.

Description: WiFi calling and VoLTE had been working as expected for a number of weeks now, but without warning stopped. It had previously been enabled via My o2 app.

I had made calls using WiFi in the morning of 8 September, but by evening it would not connect to WiFi calling.

Furthermore the WiFi calling option had disappeared from the settings menus. VoLTE was greyed out so wasn't allowed to turn it on.

My o2 showed I had both enabled on my account.

I disabled wifi calling and re-enabled it through my o2 (including waiting 24 hours and multiple restarts of the phone), but no luck.

So I started the phone in safe mode and WiFi calling was back! If I came out of safe mode the wifi calling disappeared again.

Looking at my app update history My o2 was updated on 8 September. I uninstalled and reinstalled My o2 and WiFi calling and VoLTE was working fine.

Either the update didn't install correctly for me, or there is a bug in the update process for the latest update, however the fix is pretty easy!

Hopefully this might save someone from losing all WiFi connection settings (as happened to me when o2 support asked me to reset all my network settings rage sweat_smile

- Absurdity

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Mine's still working and there's no where I know of where you can check for regional issues.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17

DanDon
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
My WiFi calling option has vanished today after working with no problems for several months. Have tried all the suggested fixes with no success. Hoping it magically reappears tomorrow!
Message 12 of 17

MI5
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
There is a known issue with some accounts currently that o2 are working on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 17

DanDon
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It's back 😀
Message 14 of 17

MI5
  • 144068 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

thumbsup

Currently using:
Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122764 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

From previous posts it seems to disappear intermittently, then pop back up when it's ready..clown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

SteveR88
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's back for me now - after I restarted my phone and had to switch Wifi calling back on..... !?
Wish this service was more reliable!!

Message 17 of 17