Did you mean: 

Usable data

Terry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Dear O2 Community

I have never posted on here before but perhaps someone out there can assist me.

Do, please make allowances for my naivety when it comes to Mobile Phones as they are of little interest to me generally and I only possess the most basic 'LG Leon' Android device.

I am a light user and every month I only use a small fraction of my 500 texts and 500 minutes of calls. I only have 500 mb of usable data and this has proven to be more than adequate until the last couple of months. Last month I had used my allowance 2 days before the end of the billing period but this month I have already used 80% with 16 days still to go!

If anything, I am using my Mobile even less frequently. I never go on the Internet (I use my PC for doing this) and my WhatsApp useage is down. What on Earth is happening? Can anyone tell me and , if so, can they advise me please?

Many thanks.

Regards

Terry

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Terry2 

In your settings, under data use, it will tell you what is using data.

When not in use, or connected to wifi, you should turn off mobile data to conserve it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Terry2 

In your settings, under data use, it will tell you what is using data.

When not in use, or connected to wifi, you should turn off mobile data to conserve it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Terry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello Marjo

Many thanks for your response.

When I accessed Mobile Data I saw, to my consternation, that 414 mb had been used  by Google Play Store. I do not even know what that does!

I have turned off Mobile Data as you suggested. Hopefully, that will not impact negatively on 'WhatsApp' which is my main mode of receiving and sending messages.

I am cautiously optimistic that what you told me  will help and I thank you again for your reply and advice.

Best regards

Terry

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Terry2 wrote:

When I accessed Mobile Data I saw, to my consternation, that 414 mb had been used  by Google Play Store. I do not even know what that does!

That is for downloading and updating apps.

You can change the setting to force Google play to use wifi only. It's in the Google play app settings.

Turning off mobile data will stop WhatsApp from working if not connected to wifi.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4