cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an O2 Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just submitted a request through the O2 App to unlock my O2 phone.  I received a reply to the effect that my phone was not an 02 phone and could therefore not be unlocked.

Can someone please explain how come I pay a monthly bill to O2 and have an O2 Sim in my phone yet it's not an O2 phone.   Strange.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Usually this means the phone is already unlocked.
Have you tried another sim in it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it a replacement phone? How long has the phone been active ie contract started as that could determine If the phone has been on the network long enough for the imei to register as an o2 phone?

did you buy the phone directly through o2 or CPW? Did you use an MVNO such as Tesco as they run on the o2 network but Tesco would need to unlock it 

Message 3 of 13

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I unlocked the wifes S6 the same week I ordered it via My O2. I would assume the phone was supplied by a third party such as CPW (Which come unlocked anyway)
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curr946 I'm assuming you paid outright or paid off the device plan straight away then? CPW are unlocked but then locked to the first network sim you put in 

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Curr946 I'm assuming you paid outright or paid off the device plan straight away then? CPW are unlocked but then locked to the first network sim you put in 

Only iPhones tho.......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 13

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope.. S6 was taken on refresh direct from an O2 store.

@MI5 is right, only Iphones lock with the first sim.

Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 will unlock a contract phone straight away though again, iphones are the exception. Beggars belief the networks and CPW want ther iphones locked as opposed to any other mobile.

Message 8 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
think this is more of an apple thing, don't they charge a fee to the networks to unlock. Even a sim free iPhone will lock to the first sim.
Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Let's hope the op tries another sim in the phone as it may well be unlocked already...(as said previously)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13