Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock 02 phone

athgen1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I don't know if this question belongs here but any help would be appreciated.

I have now changed from 02 to BT mobile. However before my 02 "ceased" i.e. my PAC was initiated to transfer my main number from 02 to BT I had my 02 phone unlocked. I put the new BT sim in the phone (Galaxy S5) and was asked for my unlock code; I entered this and the S5 is now unlocked.

However, having had my S5 unlocked I took the opportunity to get my unlock code for an older 02 phone (HTC Desire). I now have the other unlock code.

As the 02 sim is no longer working (I guess even though I have had to pay another full month; do 02 refund anything?) I put my BT sim in the HTC but on rebooted I am not asked for an unlock code. The HTC has never had the BT sim in it; I have used it with an Orange 3G pay-as-go minutes and text sim, no data.

I would like to get a cheap minutes, text and data PAG for the HTC so I have another mobile data option; I do use the phone on wifi at home and when I find free wifi when out.

Can anyone please advise on how I can get the unlock code to unlock the HTC?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Based on what you've said the phone is unlocked but just, missing the APN for data.
If you Google for the APN for bt it will tell you what to enter.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The HTC is already unlocked by the sounds of it.
You may get a final bill refund from o2. Just keep an eye on your MyO2 and the the old account will show as disconnected.
You should still be able to go into it to check the bill amounts though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
If you have already used an Orange sim then it is already unlocked - as per @MI5's post.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 10

athgen1
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks for all the replies but still having trouble.

I vaguely remember, several years ago trying to unlock the HTC, but thought it unsuccessful; maybe it did work.

However I cannot get any mobile data to work. Wifi works fine.

I have a PAG Orange 3g sim and now a BT sim card. The BT sim works as expected in my S5 but not in HTC. The Orange sim is too big to try in my S5.

I believe thay both Orange and BT use EE cells so should get similar signals for all?

When I put the either sim in the HTC I get a sign in error for my gmail account. When I add password I get a network error; suggesting no data? If I switch on wifi I can clear the sign on error.

As it maybe that the phone is now unlocked from 02 I suppose I should pursue this elsewhere; unless anyone can shed further light on the matter?

Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The manual method is here
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca... or as it's an old phone now, your local market stall can probably help you.
Bt and ee are the same network and to get data working you will need the correct APN for each network. Calls should work OK though without the correct APN.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

WiFi will work regardless of which SIM card you have in your phone as it does not rely on the SIM to connect.

Are phone calls working ok on the new SIM? Text messages?

If yes to the above, but you are unable to connect to data, check the APN settings match those on the below link:

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/bt-business-mobile-apn-settings

Those are for the BT network and should get your new sim working.

If phone calls are ok but text (SMS) are not, make sure the message centre number is +447958879890 as per this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/SMS-Service-Centre-Number/td-p/1483447

If you have any other issues, or this fixes it, please let us know.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 10

athgen1
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Wifi does not need sim; I knew.

Calls and texts work but no data.

APN page shows blank; so can't check if details are correct.

If APN page is blank is this a sign that phone is not unlocked?

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Based on what you've said the phone is unlocked but just, missing the APN for data.
If you Google for the APN for bt it will tell you what to enter.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

athgen1
  • 63 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Ok thank very much. Now seem to have mobile data working.

Actually it is Orange not BT, but found the parameters here:-

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/orange-apn-settings#Orange%20Android%20MMS

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yep, won't work without it.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10