Did you mean: 

Unlatching a Sony XZ2 Compact

AnthonyC_16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.  

I have come to end of a contract with o2 and my handset is now paid off.  I have requested o2 unlatch my phone to enable me to use it with another provider.  They have sent me a code which doesn't work.  I have been into a store and I have been told the code is incorrect (according to the manager in the store) and they will send me a new one.  The new one arrived and it was the exact same code.  Then I was told by o2 that it's Sony who supply the code to unlatch it.  While in the store I was on the phone to Sony who confirmed it is o2 (or any network provider) who supplys the code.  I am now stuck with a phone tied to o2 that I have paid for which o2 nor Sony can unlatch.  Has anyone else had this problem or know what to do?  The manager in store has opened up a complaint for me as she didn't know what else to do.

Thanks

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've checked to see if it's hardlocked in the service menu and it appears so.  I told this to o2 and they said they're requesting a code from Sony (manufacturer) to unlock it.  I'm not sure if this is possible at all, as some of you have mentioned that once it's locked, that's it?

It's very disappointing to know that o2 are aware I have paid off my phone and want to leave, and then lock my phone by issuing me with incorrect codes. 

Message 21 of 30

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Just double checking something, but I don't think it's that simple..
Message 22 of 30

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
As I suspected, it's not.
No code will unlock it now and I believe the only way to unlock it now is to have a certain chip reflashed to reset the lock.
Message 23 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I assume that's what they would do when I send my phone to Sony to be 'repaired'.  This is pathetic on o2's behalf.  A simple unlatch code has been ballsed up by them and now I can't use my phone with another provider. I'm trapped. 

I have opened a complaint and will update on here as and when, just in case anybody is interested in whether o2 can resolve a complaint.

Message 24 of 30

B52
Level 1: Joiner
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What a mess.. AnthonyC..please keep me updated..My head is like mince.. trying to get mine unlocked/unlatched..As I don't understand all techy..words etc..Wish I had never bought my phone from O2 As I feel I was miss sold a phone which was supposed tobe unlocked !
Message 25 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update:

I had a call from a Rebecca Hollingshead from the complaints department after being told to email complaintreviewservice@o2.com.  She was the first person to have any common sense and give me a reasonable resolution by offering me a new handset (in exchange for my locked one) which would be latched to o2 but she would email or call me with a new unlatching code for this device.

She informed me that o2 had locked the phone because they had supplied me with the wrong unlatching code on numerous occasions. 

She had informed me the new handset would be latched to o2.  It did in fact arrive the very next day via DPD for a doorstep exchange which meant I had to backup my existing phone, wipe it back to factory settings and then give it to the DPD driver in exchange for my new one.

The phone is working fine as expected.  It is latched to o2. Rebecca has not emailed or called with a new unlatch code.  Typical of o2 customer service I suppose.

It has come to light that o2 nor Sony want to take responsibility for supplying the unlatch codes however, based on Rebecca confessing to o2 locking it, I would say it is o2's responsibility.  It is clear the staff in the Cheshire Oaks branch have no idea how to do it.  The store manager was focused more on insulting Carphone Warehouse and informing me that Virgin do not have any stores to walk into for help for their Virgin Mobile customers.  This is incorrect as Virgin do have mobile stores so either she lied or is not very well informed in the market in which she has been working for the previous 15 years.  I feel it neccesary to include this information in this message as I believe o2 staff who lie and deceive customers in order to gain sales and retain customers should be shamed.

The current situation is the same as this time last week in that I have a phone latched to o2 and can not leave until I get the code which may or may not work.  I have made over 15 calls to o2 on 202 to discuss this matter.  On numerous occasions they hung up as soon as I was connected after waiting in the queue and I was repeatedly blind transferred to different (incorrect) departments.  In terms of compensation, they offered me £5.  I have nothing more to say about that other than this just shows how o2 like to treat their customers.

If anyone is going through a similar problem, I would highly recommend NOT speaking to 202 or going in store but instead, send an email to the address at the top of this message as they seem to do something.

I find it rediculous how I have to find my way onto a forum to get any sort of service from o2.  I am now waiting for an unlatch code for my new device and as soon as I get this I will try it and update this thread again.  

I know this may seem like a rant, but had I read a similar thread to this before joining o2, I would certainly not join them and feel it only fair to give a true and honest representation of customer satisfaction levels and an example of customer care offered by o2.  

Message 26 of 30

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Knew they couldn't unlatch it.
Do it through my O2 after a few days of use.
Message 27 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnthonyC_16

To avoid this happening again, I suggest we ask @EmilieT (one of our community managers) to sort out the unlock for you?

It will certainly be far quicker than waiting for O2 to do it. Emilie will be back on the forum tomorrow.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Finally resolved.  I have been sent a new handset, then a new unlatch code and I'm finally free from o2.  They're still asking for me to pay my bill for the extra month I've been with them even though they're aware I wanted to leave as soon as my final bill was paid.  Disgusting company.  So glad to be free.  

Message 29 of 30

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Small consolation but take the hit, pay the month and make sure your account is at zero, otherwise they will penalise you further with a default on your credit file.

Message 30 of 30