Did you mean: 

Unlatching a Sony XZ2 Compact

AnthonyC_16
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.  

I have come to end of a contract with o2 and my handset is now paid off.  I have requested o2 unlatch my phone to enable me to use it with another provider.  They have sent me a code which doesn't work.  I have been into a store and I have been told the code is incorrect (according to the manager in the store) and they will send me a new one.  The new one arrived and it was the exact same code.  Then I was told by o2 that it's Sony who supply the code to unlatch it.  While in the store I was on the phone to Sony who confirmed it is o2 (or any network provider) who supplys the code.  I am now stuck with a phone tied to o2 that I have paid for which o2 nor Sony can unlatch.  Has anyone else had this problem or know what to do?  The manager in store has opened up a complaint for me as she didn't know what else to do.

Thanks

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I did have a call and they offered to text with an unlock code but no text has come through yet.
Message 11 of 30

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It's vitally important you check the Sim lock status.
Any more wrong codes could very well hard lock it, if not already.
No one can undo hardlock
Message 12 of 30

B52
  • 20 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Best of luck.. AnthonyC.. Hope you get mobile unlatched.. SOON..
Message 13 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When I was in store, they checked the status and they said it wasn't locked.  Just latched to o2 still.  They checked this with Sony.  Now it is locked according to Sony when trying the same code from the second email again and again in store with the manager.  The manager said it needed to be sent off to be 'repaired' to be unlocked in order to try unlatching again...which o2 clearly don't know how to do.  What on Earth do I do if o2 can't help, Sony can't help and Virgin can't (not that they should).  

I had a call from an o2 Guru who said they'll text me an unlock code but I haven't had that text? Not sure if someone on here can chase that up? 

Message 14 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've managed to check this now and it appears to be hard locked.  When the o2 guru called, they said they'll text me a code to unlock it when I put the new sim card in but they haven't text with this.  Does anybody know how to chase them up?

Message 15 of 30

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
How would they text when you put a different Sim in?
Do they just make this up?

Can you enter the service menu and confirm no attempts left?
Message 16 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I had a feeling it would be hardlocked now after the opening post. It's human nature that more than 5 attempts would be made. Good luck recieving a text to the other sim card. The things they tell you to get you to go....!

Message 17 of 30

AnthonyC_16
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They said I'd get a text to my current number to then enter when I put my new sim card in.  I never got this text.  O2 then called me after I chased it on this forum to explain that an escallation ticket has been raised to get a new unlatch code because they've given me the wrong one...twice.

I now have up to 6 weeks to wait for a new code to hopefully unlatch or unlock my phone.  It is hardlocked which they told me so I'm assuming they'll send me the right code.  

I have wanted to leave O2 since the moment I paid off my handset and my contract came to an end but now o2 are keeping my handset at ransom by not unlocking/unlatching it for me without me having to wait weeks to do so.  

I am going through a complaint procedure and hope to have my future airtime bills refunded as Nicola in the O2 store in Cheshire Oaks agreed as this entire situation is entirely unfair.  

I'll keep everyone posted on here in case they mess it up with another paying customer. 

Message 18 of 30

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143432 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If it's hardlocked, it will never be unlocked unless they change the phone for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 30

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Yes, as @MI5 said, if it is hardlocked, no code on earth will unlock it.
Btw, O2 won't know if it's hardlocked, they don't have that information, only the service menu In your phone has that information. It is something that isn't relayed to O2.
Please, check the service menu mentioned as it may be possible it's not hardlocked, again O2 wouldn't know if it was.
Message 20 of 30