Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Highlighted
Anonymous

Unable to update my Galaxy SII through Kies

I hope that someone out there would be able to give me a few pointers as this is really starting to drive me insane! Smiley Frustrated I have tried updated via USB using Kies and although Kies seems to download the firmware, it fails when it tries to install it to my phone. 

I have tried uninstalling the USB drivers and reinstalling them. I have also done the same with my Kies software. Yet I still get firmare upgrade has failed.

A few details :

Kies Version 2.3.0.12035-16

Phone Model No: GT-i9100  

Andriod version : 2.3.3

I hope that someone can help as this is driving me mad.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Unable to update my Galaxy SII through Kies

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I upgraded last week and regretted it ever since. They are minor compatibility issues with a number of apps, Sky Go doesn't work at all with ICS with no date for fixing that and there is now possibly some issue with the CPU not sleeping on some phones thats killing the battery. I'm suffering from that with my phone not lasting 10 hours from full charge before getting below 20%. On low/moderate usage it previously went 30 hours!

Highlighted
Topics: 129
Kudos: 236
Blog Posts: 1
Solutions: 42

Mine varies on use really, if I'm not going to be browsing the internet or anything I turn the data mode off, as this saves a considerable amount of power. Another trick is to turn of Sync and not require bandwidth hungry tasks (by effectively disabling data).

On a moderate charge cycle with intermediate charges when the telephone is idle or I'm on the PC, I get up about 1 day 7 hours.

I'm running ICS 4.0.3 which seems OK to me and I find I get better battery life.

As for the upgrade process, you need to update 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 then 2.3.6 or later. What are the product code for phone, such as the baseband version? This will tell you whether it's a O2 firmware or a Samsung factory firmware.

From there, you can determine whether to go the other route of using ODIN or not. Although ODIN is not for the faint hearted, so read the instructions carefully before proceeding.

For the record, Kies on my system is so unstable I removed it and every registry entry I could find for it.

Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.
Highlighted
Topics: 129
Kudos: 236
Blog Posts: 1
Solutions: 42

The current O2 release reads as follows.

Model:GT-9100

Android version:4.0.3

Baseband:I9100XXLPR

Kernel:3.0.15-I9100XWLP3-CL287862dpi@DELL168 #3 

Build:IML74K.XWLP3

Leave your candy-colored cans in the toy chest and try a pair of proper headphones.
Highlighted
Anonymous

yep, that's exactly what i've got. downloaded no problem through kies. problem is the 'battery bug' (see androidcentral) where the cpu doesn't sleep properly. android os is using 80% of the battery drain. mid-afternoon today cpu had been 'on' for 5h 45m in a toal of 6h 19m. And that was for half a dozen texts, a couple of short calls and catching news headlines. From fully charged at 8am this morning, it hit 20% at 6.30 this evening. Not going to be much use for a long day at work where I can't recharge. I've had link from O2 to revert back to Gingerbread. ICS was such a mistakeSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Anonymous

jose,

The battery bug is due to it not resetting when you update to ICS, what you need to do is let your battery run totally flat then turn the phone off and recharge from off and then it will reset the battery and away you go. It's worked for me and many m,any others. Give it a go. Also alas you are incorrect with Sky Go, I'm running ICS 4.0.3 on my S2 phone and am at this moment watching the master's breakfast on Sky Sports 2. I can watch all the sports channel, new and films et al and it's not remote desktop or anything like that it's from Sky Go.

iechyd da 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok, the details of my phone are as follows ....

Model No. : GT-i9100

Android Version : 2.3.3

Baseband Version : i9100XXKE7

Kernel Version : 2.6.35.7-i900XWKF3-CL276555root@DELL101 #2

Build No. : GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

As I am a complete novice when it comes to phones and updating could you tell me how you update from 2.3.3 to the other versions? I really have no idea Smiley Happy

thanks for your help and patience .

Highlighted
Anonymous

hi, thanks for reply. having run battery completely down, do I leave phone off while it recharges to full or is it ok to have phone on?

In respect of Sky Go, I'm only quoting the message I get when I log onto Sky Go on the phone, which worked fine under Gingerbread.

Sky reports:

“Sorry, Sky Go is not currently supported on this device. See FAQs”

and in the FAQs it says:

, under ‘What Devices can I use’ … selected Android smartphones with 2.2x and 2.3x.

Now I know Sky are appalling at keeping FAQs up to date, but at the moment my phone won't let me. And a friend who updated at the same time just confirmed he gets same message from Sky Go. I'm intrigued to know what ICS version your running that allows you access. I note it was you who posted in androidcentral initially saying ICS and Sky Go werent compatable, but I see that was back in Feb. Thanks

Highlighted
Anonymous

jose,

Yes make sure you leave the phone off when you charge it back up, silly i know but i tried it the other and no go. Yes i did post that sky go & ICS not go together, but that was then and this is now, I'm using version 0.1.5apk. pm mee an email addy and I'll explain if you want.

iechyd da

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi i tried to update to Android 4.0 yesterday and it took me all day it kept downloading but would not install so i uninstalled the new kies software and went for a older version 2.0 when installed i connected my phone and it said upgrade to the newest version then download the newest firmware and it worked i left my phone connected at all times The only issue i have at the moment is that according to Engadget i should have a different keypad for calling, spell check in messages etc and i dont have that yet