Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter (and other sites) can't be reached

thejudge62
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Since sometime this morning (Sunday), I've not been able to reach any Twitter pages on my LG K4 (2017) running Android 6.0.1.

In Chrome, I get: "This site can't be reached. mobile.twitter.com unexpectedly closed the connection" with the error message "ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED"

In Firefox, I get to the pages, but then get "Sorry, Twitter is taking too long to load". Repeated refreshing does nothing to solve this. This is true of all Twitter pages I try.

In Firefox Focus, I get: "Unable to connect", Again, refreshing doesn't solve it. The local newspaper site - www.leaderlive.co.uk - which has the same problem in Chrome & Firefox - loads OK on this browser.

I rebooted the phone: no change

I uninstalled Chrome updates and re-updated: no change, except that I lost all my bookmarks, logins, etc. 😞

I rebooted again. Again no fix.

All is OK on my W7 desktop on Chrome, Firefox and IE11. I won't be in work until Monday so can't try the wi-fi there to see how it goes.

I didn't change any settings on the phone between the problem not being there and the problem appearing.

Anyone else having this? And, more importantly, does anyone know a fix for it?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions
Sounds like a wfi issue.
Can you try on mobile data or through the twitter app?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

thejudge62
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Sorry, should have said: I'm on 4G.

Regarding the Twitter app; I'm not actually signed up for Twitter, I just view some of the pages. Would the app still be appropriate?

Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try resetting the network settings on the phone or reset your router 

Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@thejudge62wrote:

Regarding the Twitter app; I'm not actually signed up for Twitter, I just view some of the pages. Would the app still be appropriate?

No I think you have to sign in to get into the app.

Have you tried on wifi too, or no wifi until you get to work?

Try texting the word "active" to 2020 to get your apn settings corrected if corrupted somehow.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5wrote:

@thejudge62wrote:

No I think you have to sign in to get into the app.

Have you tried on wifi too, or no wifi until you get to work?

Try texting the word "active" to 2020 to get your apn settings corrected if corrupted somehow.

You have to sign in with the app to access Twitter that way. It won’t let you view pages on there if you don’t have an account 

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6973 Solutions

If its  mobile data I think it's possibly a local network issues. Check here and if nothing is showing download the My Network app and report it. 

http://status.o2.co.uk

Message 7 of 13

thejudge62
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
The latest on this is that Twitter & the other problem site are easily reachable on all browsers over my employer's wi-fi. So the issue looks like it's with the O2 setup.
Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions
Have you tried again on mobile data now you are in a different location?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

thejudge62
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Ooh, it's working again! Well, Twitter is in all browsers over 4G, even with a fairly weak signal. The local rag's site is still failing to connect on Chrome and is crashing Firefox (but that's because it's a script-saturated POS - it loads OK in Firefox Focus, which strips the ads out first).

Out of curiosity, what would have caused the problem in the first place, d'ye think, and why would running it from my employers' wi-fi have 'cured' it?

Thanks to all for their advice.
Message 10 of 13