cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think my Galaxy S2 usb port is damaged.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm having problems with my phone leading me to conclude my mini usb port is damaged.

I can charge the phone, but the phone acts strangely when charging. It will say it has reached full charge yet will still show as 94/95%. It continues to charge, but every time the % goes up by 1 it again says it has fully charged.

When unplugged, the phone still thinks it is plugged in and charging, and a message continually pops up saying charging has been paused as the "voltage is too high". I can't seem to do anything to stop this happening, and I don't understand why the phone thinks it is charging when it isn't. I've tried removing and re-inserting the battery.

I also tried to resolve the issue by updating my phone with Kies, but my computer refuses to recognise the phone is plugged in to the USB.

That the USB and charging use the same port it leads me to conclude I have a problem with the port itself.

The only available option I seem to have left to me is to do a factory reset, but I'm worried about losing everything on my phone and from what I've read online, it doesn't fix the issue anyway.

I have insurance, so perhaps the best option is to arrange a replacement phone with O2?

Please help if you have any advice or suggestions as to what to do. My phone is practically bricked at the moment.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's developed more problems now. Switches itself off. Keeps changing its mind about how much charge there is also. One minute it will say 80%, it switches itself off, and when you turn it back on its 14%.

I've had enough...I'm not going to tinker about with it myself either, I'm pretty sure it'd void my warranty and possibly my insurance too and I reckon I might as well just get O2 to replace it, if they will....I'm guessing that's why I pay for the insurance.

Here goes...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It does sound like you have a damaged USB port. Wiping the battery stats may help though. Unfortunately this can only be done on a rooted phone. Resetting the phone from the Recovery Menu might resolve some issues although if the port if physically damaged then it won't make any odds.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Its a common fault and is most definitely hardware related. The charge port is damaged, and needs replacing. You might get some more mileage from it by carefully bending the centre pin inside the connector upwards but be careful.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's developed more problems now. Switches itself off. Keeps changing its mind about how much charge there is also. One minute it will say 80%, it switches itself off, and when you turn it back on its 14%.

I've had enough...I'm not going to tinker about with it myself either, I'm pretty sure it'd void my warranty and possibly my insurance too and I reckon I might as well just get O2 to replace it, if they will....I'm guessing that's why I pay for the insurance.

Here goes...

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I am guessing that as the phone is under warranty you may have to go down the repair route, but either way you should get it fixed or replaced....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5