Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The time has come, do we make a change?

SallyMagpie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You have probably heard this a million times before, but, any help will be gratefully received. 

My sister upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini last novemberish. Since then her data has been stripped constantly, to the point that when she is out of the house ( and out of wifi range) she has to switch data off all together.

Obviously, for a smart phone this doesn't really give you the benefits of having the damn thing, because if you had it switched on in the house, you may aswell use the laptop/pc/tablet.

I have contacted O2 about this on numerous occasions and no one has been able to tell me anything about why this is happening. I just get the standard, well its your data, you must be using this.... But this is where the plot thickens, as it only happens DURING her drive to work. As soon as she leaves the house, if she leaves the data on the damn thing sucks it all out and she has used the lot. 

Add to this, my husband and I are due to renew our contracts on 5 December, and I am not going to stay if we can't get this issue sorted out. 

Can anyone give me any ideas about how to stop this, or at least find out what is sucking all the data out of her phone, I would be most pleased, and probably stay! ( I have been with you for about 15 years, so I am not a fickle creature of change)

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

She's probably got something silly like 250mb of data allowence

Message 11 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possibly so.

I thought it prudent to ask as one resolution could be to change tariff with a larger data allowance and could be of a similar costing.

That obviously doesn't resolve the issue over this unexplained data allowance.
Message 12 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93986 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Only the OP can answer that by looking what's using data and what allowance there is. Until they come back, anything else is conjecture and guesswork.

Message 13 of 26

SallyMagpie
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oooooh, some of you are cutting!

She has a 1gb allowance ( I believe) I will check with her when she wakes up.

To be honest I don't doubt it is an app, but, when asking O2 for help they have basically gone 'switch it off' which when you have a phone isn't the best. Would also say its my sister, she doesn't do much on her phone, BBM occasionally, messages not photos.

I will be back shortly slight_smile

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im sure some are not meaning to be " cutting"

1gb is a decent enough amount of data allowance depending on usage pattern.

See you on your return   slight_smile

Message 15 of 26

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
1gb should be ample and should not be used up quickly with the usage you suggest - we really do need to know what the usage stats are saying though please?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 16 of 26

jonsie
  • 93986 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Most people would get by on 1gb allowance given the usage you say. It's almost certainly an app but the data information on the phone will pinpoint the culprit.

Message 17 of 26

SallyMagpie
  • 27 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm back slight_smile

Had a look at her phone, and its difficult as I can only go back to July, and she has been switching off data when she leaves the house.

However, looking at the data usage it appears facebook is the answer. It has used 88MB in the past week!

So, I am going to get the video thing switched off, and see if that helps. 

Her usage on everything else is piddling

Facebook 88mb

internet 15.54mb

Exchange services 1.66mb

Google services 1.53mb

Twitter 895kb

Android OS 736KB

BBM 374kb

google play store 272kb

Vine 340kb

google search 186kb

samsung push service 120kb

google+93.28kb

Drive 91.65kb

Samsung Syncadaptors 84.55kb

My O2 83.61kb

Weather Widget 48.47kb

Ebay 47.88kb

Guess Emoji 40.02kb

Samsung Cloud 24.28kb

Samsung Apps16.52kb

youtube 10.41kb

Google Calendar sync 9.92kb

Instagram 5.16kb

Software update 3.72kb

Cookie Jam 1.03kb

Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Going from your posted stats i concur.

Message 19 of 26

jonsie
  • 93986 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

That would appear to be the culprit. It's a matter of checking it constantly  now and monitoring the data usage. Thanks for updating.

Message 20 of 26