Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting abroad charges

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. I occasionally text my dad in lanzarote(he has a sim card for there) it usually costs around 16p per text. The last couple of texts I have sent are now costing 26p per text. I can't find anything about price rises. I am on a pay monthly contract. Can you shed any light on this please

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @G_d,

I shall update when I can and have asked for the post up to date info possible. Alternatively, a colleague in my team will do so in my place. Cheers for flagging!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 31 of 77

G_d
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@adamtemp64 I would be keen to hear what you learn on twitter. However, O2 have two web pages giving two different prices so they've definitely got an IT error - either by not updating the page with the lower price or by unintentionally increasing the price on the other page (which may be directly linked to billing).

You can gather the opinions of customers here or on twitter, but the bottom line is that someone from O2 needs to tell this discussion group which price O2 intended to charge Pay Monthly customers for international texts since 31st August. If it is 20p, and they have been billing people at 35p, then they need to apologise and rectify the situation as soon as possible. If it is 35p, yet they appear to have notified nobody (not even @Toby or the O2 staff he has spoken to), then someone from O2 still needs to tell this discussion group which price O2 intended to charge Pay Monthly customers for international texts since 31st August. In addition, at the very least they need to apologise for not notifying customers, and more appropriately they need to issue notification to all Pay Monthly customers with a revised date in the future for the price hike and revert to the 20p tariff until that revised date (correcting overbillings since 31st August). Either way, O2 staff need to address this issue directly. For @Toby to tell us he will let us know if he hears anything really isn't good enough. If anyone here thinks it is good enough then O2 are either very lucky to have such generous and understanding customers, or they have somehow managed to brainwash those particular customers.

Message 32 of 77

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
I can confirm that any text I send from Thailand costs me 35p +vat. The charges are confirmed on the international pages but I never received any notification of the increase at all. Luckily live chat via the complaints link refunded the charge and opted me out of o2 travel as it was blatantly obvious the text was sent via TuGo.
Message 33 of 77

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi @G_d,
I can confirm that the larger charge is the correct one, but am also asking for any other info about the change, as well as any other useful information that is related. The website update is on the web team's to-do list also.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 34 of 77

G_d
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
Hi @G_d,
I can confirm that the larger charge is the correct one, but am also asking for any other info about the change, as well as any other useful information that is related. The website update is on the web team's to-do list also.

Thank you @Toby. I can't say I'm pleased to hear that, but I am grateful that you have finally been able to clarify the situation after over a week of waiting. The matter of failure to notify remains, and whether or not O2 were justified in almost doubling a charge without notifying anyone. From a customer's point of view of course they are not justified in doing so. There are undoubtedly still many customers who have not yet received a bill since 31st August and who continue to send international texts without knowing how much it is costing them. Therefore if O2 has an ounce of decency left they will issue formal notification to all O2 Pay Monthly customers immediately. I'll expect mine by the end of the day, thank you. I've waited long enough. There is also the matter of an apology.

Message 35 of 77

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Twitter replied with this https://twitter.com/O2/status/779622773584961540 and links to this page http://www.o2.co.uk/call-abroad and stated it was notfied by sms

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 36 of 77

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Twitter replied with this https://twitter.com/O2/status/779622773584961540 and links to this page http://www.o2.co.uk/call-abroad and stated it was notfied by sms

You do normally get a text when you arrive in any given country....but only about o2 Travel. I had no previous text notification. 

Screenshot_2016-09-24-17-22-58.png

Message 37 of 77

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Asked on twitter about text as did no get one 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 38 of 77

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie This is from uk to abroad and not o2travel related

Apple Watch series 4

Message 39 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Thanks for finding that out @adamtemp64 but they lie. I have never received any such text informing me of changes to text prices from 31/8/16 (and obviously from reading this thread, many others are in the same boat)....Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 40 of 77