Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting abroad charges

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi all. I occasionally text my dad in lanzarote(he has a sim card for there) it usually costs around 16p per text. The last couple of texts I have sent are now costing 26p per text. I can't find anything about price rises. I am on a pay monthly contract. Can you shed any light on this please

Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@G_d wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
I've tagged @Toby as he is the only one who can go find out the answers mate.
I'm a customer the same as yourself so can only go on what the website says, but no, I didn't get any notification of any price changes either.

@Does @Toby usually yield a response? None so far, and over three days have passed.

@Toby is the Head of Community and his normal hours rarely cover the weekend. I am sure he will see this today though @G_d and advise further.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 77

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @G_d, thanks for flagging the info inconsistencies here, I shall ask the web team to update any info to be as current as possible. I must apologise for my slow-response here; It has been an incredibly busy week on the community. I shall also pass on your feedback about the charge changes

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 12 of 77

G_d
Level 1: Joiner
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @G_d, thanks for flagging the info inconsistencies here, I shall ask the web team to update any info to be as current as possible. I must apologise for my slow-response here; It has been an incredibly busy week on the community. I shall also pass on your feedback about the charge changes

Thanks @Toby . That O2's website is up to date is the least of my issues really, and I am rather more concerned that the rate of international texts for Pay Monthly customers almost doubled on 31st August 2016 (20p to 35p) without customers being notified (none of the numerous people who have viewed this message trail have admitted to having received a notification, and a few have actually stated that they did not) - yet the rate for Pay & Go customers remains at 20p.

Message 13 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I can confirm that I still have NOT had any notification of change @G_d

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 77

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I doubt anyone has recently - it may have been part of the yearly rise but only just come into effect?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@G_d wrote:

@Toby wrote:

Thanks @Toby . That O2's website is up to date is the least of my issues really, and I am rather more concerned that the rate of international texts for Pay Monthly customers almost doubled on 31st August 2016 (20p to 35p) without customers being notified (none of the numerous people who have viewed this message trail have admitted to having received a notification, and a few have actually stated that they did not) - yet the rate for Pay & Go customers remains at 20p.

Is that it then @Toby ? Can you not let us know if the almost doubling in price for international texts since 31st August (from 20p to 35p) but that still today shows up on the O2 website under the original price (16.4p equating to 20p after tax) is an error remaining to be rectified by O2, or is it a correct price hike? If the big price hike is to remain then when was notification sent out? If it was sent out then when, to whom, and in what format? Can you place a copy of that notification on this forum for those of us who this affects to finally be able to read? No-one has admitted to receiving a notification of this price hike, despite the fact that the earlier messages in this discussion have been viewed over 200 times. 

Message 16 of 77

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @G_d,

I have shared your thoughts from this thread with the team and they aim to update the website asap. I will however remind the team that it still needs an update. Thanks for flagging!

Get involved:

Message 17 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh please @Toby . For the second time you have ignored the vast majority of my posting and focus only on a delayed website update for the second time. I also wrote:

"Can you not let us know if the almost doubling in price for international texts since 31st August (from 20p to 35p) ... is an error remaining to be rectified by O2, or is it a correct price hike? If the big price hike is to remain then when was notification sent out? If it was sent out then when, to whom, and in what format? Can you place a copy of that notification on this forum for those of us who this affects to finally be able to read? No-one has admitted to receiving a notification of this price hike, despite the fact that the earlier messages in this discussion have been viewed over 200 times."

Can you address those queries - there are four questions for you, one of which (the third) contains three parts? Please say if you do not intend to address them. I expect that you should be willing to. It affects many people, including many people who have read these messages.

Message 18 of 77

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @G_d,

Sorry if you feel I didn't address this aspect. I have shared this with the team also, but I have no information at this time to share on how this process happened. If I obtain more info, I shall of course share it slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 19 of 77

G_d
  • 19 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi @G_d,

Sorry if you feel I didn't address this aspect. I have shared this with the team also, but I have no information at this time to share on how this process happened. If I obtain more info, I shall of course share it slight_smile

Thanks for your honesty @Toby . No, you did not address those elements in any of your earlier responses, and now you admit that you have no information. I interpret this to mean that:

1. You do not know if the unannounced price hike from 20p to 35p for international texts for Pay Monthly customers (Pay & Go customers were unaffected) was an error or genuine. Since two different areas of the O2 website currently give two different prices http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Tariffs/pm/pm_charges_terms.html we the customers still do not know for sure which one is the error.

2. You do not know if notification was ever sent out to customers of this major tariff change.

3. If notification was ever sent you do not know when, to whom, or in what format.

4. You are unable to produce a copy / transcript of that notification (if it ever existed - no-one here has ever seen it, you have never seen it) announcing that international texts were to almost double in price for Pay Monthly customers.

It is a sad state of affairs for the customers if even you, with your connections, have failed to find these answers. 

Message 20 of 77