Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Android

Anonymous

Tethering via mobile

Hi everyone First post so I hope its int he right place...

I have my Galaxy SII set up as my portable WiFi.

Sometimes I can get amazingly fast speeds, but most of the times I am getting really slow speeds ie 0.4kbs, it can take up to 30 mins to connect to a website.

I am wondering if there is something I am doing to make it go faster all the time?

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate their advice or if there is anything I can do to improve the speeds to an acceptable level.

Thank you in advance

Dave

Anonymous

Re: Tethering via mobile

I don't know if there is such thing on the mobile. But could you not try and clear the history and cache out?

(I think you can do that, I've  a funny feeling that I actually came across that on my phone)

Are you on Pay as you go or Pay Monthly?

I'm on Pay Monthly and I was told that once I've used up all of my 250 internet data, things will slow down until the next top up.

Oh and another thing, perhaps your signal is not very good. Your signal plays apart in your internet speed. I found that I had a spot of bad signal and the internet was slow. 

hope that helps. Smiley Happy

Anonymous

Hi DTP,

To get the Galaxy on to tethering click the left button, settings, wireless and network, tethering and portable hotspots, portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings, configure your settings with your pc/laptop and then, portable wi-Fi hotspots, select your profile and your in there!

I am on contract but my allowance ran out awhile back so was already on a go slower connection, but do on occasion get fast speeds.

I dont understand how min I get really fast speeds and then the next min I get extremely slooooow speeds.

Surley I should either get fast speeds or slow speeds?

Regards

Dave

See my photography >> http://warshipsandauxiliares.blogspot.co.uk/
Anonymous

Hi there,

It can depend on the level and quality of coverage that you have at the time.

What does http://j.mp/O2Coverage suggest you should have?
Anonymous

Hi Paul, Sorry but I cannot get the link to work, I click on it and it doesn't do anything.

Im in Edinburgh, if you can check somehow??

Regards

Dave

Anonymous

If you want the coverage checker try this link http://www.o2.co.uk/network

Anonymous

Your intermittent connection could be due to 'fast dormancy' this is set as active by default on the s2 but the o2 network doesn't actually support it so your phone is constantly searching for a better signal. This works fine on other networks who actually support it but on o2 your phone will switch between H, 3g & G constantly which means one minute you have fast connection (H) then slow (3g) and ultra annoyingly slow (G)

You can deactivate it by dailing *#9900#.

This won't damage your phone, all it will do is switch off fast dormancy meaning your phone will stay connected to whatever signal you have in your (current) area until you leave that signal rather than constantly switching trying to find the best signal. This will also save battery life.

Anonymous

Thanks Chris

Tried this but its making no difference to my download speeds - currently 0.5kbps

Dave

Anonymous

Is this connection indicated by a H, 3G or G at the top right of your screen by your signal bar??

You might need to check your APN settings.

Go into settings - Network - Mobile network - Access Point Names (I think thats the path)

You should see 'o2 Mobile Web' selected in your list. If you don't see this you will need to add the APN settings for o2 Mobile Web. I'm no longer using a S2 i'm on a Gal Nexus now so the settings are bit different. If you do a google search though you should find then easily enough.

here you go:

http://mobileguide.o2.co.uk/devices/device.jsp?deviceId=738&tab=8&step=2&settingId=3918

Anonymous

Hi

It is set as O2 Mobile Web

It comes up as "H" when at home