cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony Xperia M2 Kitkat 4.4.2 update

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 18th of August, over two weeks ago, the rollout had begun for android version 4.4.2 for the Sony Xperia M2. On the official Sony blog it can be seen that many Xperia M2 users have received the update as shown by comments on the blog and from other websites.

However, O2 customers in the UK have not received the update as of yet and my question is this: why is it taking so long for the update to roll out to O2 customers in the UK? I'd at least like to know that O2 have acknowleded the OTA update and are planning and trying to send the upates to O2 customers that have the Sony Xperia M2.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I'll get this looked into and i'll be back once I've found out more.

If it helps understand things clearer, sometimes an update is pushed out to open market (unlocked / SIM free) devices earlier than via network carriers. The reason for this is that networks need to test the device to ensure it works correctly on their network and for any issues to be worked on before release. This can take time and it's the main reason for our testing and approval.

Sorry you're frustrated waiting for network-specific updates but without our testing process, you could end up with a device that doesn't function correctly as far as network functionality goes - or even with an update that could be detrimental to our network, as unlikely as such a thing would be. Our goal is to ensure the user experience when using any device on our network is a smooth and reliable one.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

We do get updates from the Social Media Team on updates. Usually from @Chris_K
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As customers, we don't know, but I'm sure Chris will help out if he can......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I'll get this looked into and i'll be back once I've found out more.

If it helps understand things clearer, sometimes an update is pushed out to open market (unlocked / SIM free) devices earlier than via network carriers. The reason for this is that networks need to test the device to ensure it works correctly on their network and for any issues to be worked on before release. This can take time and it's the main reason for our testing and approval.

Sorry you're frustrated waiting for network-specific updates but without our testing process, you could end up with a device that doesn't function correctly as far as network functionality goes - or even with an update that could be detrimental to our network, as unlikely as such a thing would be. Our goal is to ensure the user experience when using any device on our network is a smooth and reliable one.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Admittedly, I'm unfamilar with how long the process for ensuring that a network-specific update functions properly might take. I do understand that these specific types of updates can potentially worsen a mobile phone's performance if they are not strenuously tested to ensure they function correctly.

Message 5 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
As a rule, Sony updates will go through pc companion first, once you notice pc companion updates being mentioned expect an OTA update anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks from then.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey people got update thro for andrpid 4.4
Message 7 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good news slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8