cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s8 Oreo - any issues (battery etc)?

gazzawazza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi all

With the O2 Oreo build finally out, how are people finding it?

There have been a lot of reported problems with the Samsung Oreo update (just Google it). In particular, horrible battery life. Some people have improved matters by disabling Bixby where possible, so I'm not clear whether it's a Samsung app issue or something underlying with their build of android Oreo.

Anyway, hope people can post any experiences here - good and bad.

Thanks,

Gary
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Mr-Mixalot
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Gary

I bought the handset off an O2 customer but ts unlocked and I'm using another mobile provider

I was wondering if I would get the update from O2 or from my mobile provider

Looks like its going to be the latter but I may logon to Sammobile and get the O2 update which appears to be newer then the one I have

wink

Message 21 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Phone updates are linked to the phones CSC.
If the phone was unlocked it's likely to be on Samsung generic firmware.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 26

Mr-Mixalot
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I was not aware of that and thanks for teaching me something slight_smile

My CSC appears to be XEU

Message 23 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
xeu is Samsung generic but not sold directly by Samsung.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 26

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Mr-Mixalotwrote:

Hi Gary

I bought the handset off an O2 customer but ts unlocked and I'm using another mobile provider

I was wondering if I would get the update from O2 or from my mobile provider

Looks like its going to be the latter but I may logon to Sammobile and get the O2 update which appears to be newer then the one I have

wink

presumably if unlocked that makes it SIM-free. A poster early on in this thread referred to XEU firmware - apparently this is for sim-free handset NOT from samsung. BTU is for handsets FROM samsung but not carrier specific.

This website hosts XEU firmware. Apparently there's a SamMobile magazine. Sounds like an enthusiast community & website. Of course i make no guarantees or assurances whatsoever.

Check your handset model number!

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s8/SM-G950F/XEU/

You could also try installing smart switch (samsung desktop phone software). Apparently that supports update checks. One would hope it would correctly identify your phone and push the right update to you. No promises of course.

I read one user, i think on this forum, saying they got the oreo update via Kies but apparently smart switch is the appropriate software for latest samsung handsets.

Cheers,

Gary

Message 25 of 26

gazzawazza
  • 25 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

just updating this thread.

notifications in general are hit and miss with Oreo.

LED notifications in particular are very unreliable.

I'm not clear whether this is exclusively to do with developers not having caught up with the way Oreo handles notifications but having a robust, reliable notification experience is critical IMO for users.

I went as far as doing a factory reset last night, to see if that smoothes things out.

Painful.

Really not what I was hoping for with Oreo but tbh it's an entire OS version change, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at having to resort to doing a factory reset. I used to do this as a matter of course for best chances of a reliable OS transition but it's just such a bloody pain having to back everything up. And of course you also have to rely on an app actually a) having a backup option and b) it working.

Meh.

Message 26 of 26