Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Wave II S8530 upgrade to Bada 2.0

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a Samsung Wave II S8530 which is currently running Bada 1.0. I'm finding it very frustrating now as a lot of the apps no longer work (or update), and I can't use the internet fully as a lot of websites (e.g. BBC) require the latest version of flash.

I've been speaking to various people at O2 over the last few months, each time I am told to just wait a bit longer as O2 are still testing Bada 2.0. But I've had enough now. I want a phone that I can use...I am paying good money for this.

I've spent a good amount of time this evening again talking to an O2 Guru, they contradicted themselves a couple of times, didn't seem to know a lot about the situation and told me a couple of things that were incorrect...I am still stuck at square 1 with a phone that only partly works and I am months away from being able to upgrade to a different phone.

Does anyone have any information as to when Bada 2.0 might be available through O2? Or anything I might be able to do to improve my phone?
Or in the absence of either of these any suggestion to who I can contact to see if there is anything else I can do?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144682 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
I think O2 have given up on Bada 2. There were many issues when it was first released and (rightly) O2 decided not to release it. There have now, however, been some improvements. If you want to do anything it might be easiest to DIY. See here for info http://www.samsungwaveforum.com/ and www.sammobile.com for firmware and flash tools.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the links, I'll investigate that though not to keen on DIYing technology - I guess that my insurance wouldn't cover any problems that arise!

I really like the phone, but its really frustrating me that I can't use it as fully as I should be able to, and I am paying a lot of money each month for a phone I can no longer use properly.
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

About 6 months ago, I had to send my Wave in for some malfunction that seemed to effect the screen, especially when I wanted to type in my pin lock number. It would just start randomly trying to type in any  old number without me even touching it. Anyway, I sent it back for repairs via a high street o2 store. It was still under 12 months old. When it came back it came with Bada 2.0 software on it. It was great at the time but the truth has dawned on me over the last 3 months and that is that Bada 2.0 is not much better that Bada 1.0 and theat Bada in general is a poor platform. Samsung created it with all good intentions but they didn't see it through to it's conclusion. 

I too am now stuck with a handset that freezes, switches itself off and on when it likes, still tries typing in it's own pin code and is a very poor relation to both Android and iOS. Maybe that's been too kind. It's Samsung's Frankenstien!

7 months before I can "Upgrade" and I've been with O2 as a mobile, landline and broadband customer for over 5 years now. I will be looking at alternative providers for all three services when the time is due!

I'm sorry to  say that it seems that biting the bullet is the only option on the Wave front. Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats my thoughts too.

I've been with O2 for over 10 years now and until this phone never had a problem. But this phone, and the very disappointing customer service, has spoilt all that for me.

I can't see me staying with O2 when I upgrade in 5 months.

Message 5 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Your phone is no longer supported by the maker, that's hardly the fault of O2.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a valid point but considering the size of o2 as a company, it wouldn't be too much to ask of them, to bend a few rules or reduce the contract buy-out costs. From what I can tell, there can't be many muppets (me included) that opted to try a handset with a new operating system that has ultimately failed. On the flip side of this statement, because o2 are so large, they no longer care about customer loyalty........until you ask for a PAC code!!! They can very quickly match any deal offered by a rival telecoms provider then. #OverABarrel
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

Your phone is no longer supported by the maker, that's hardly the fault of O2.

Yes, in some repects thats perhaps true.

What is O2's fault however is taking over a year testing an update but not releasing it, which means most apps no longer work and there are issues with the internet on a lot of websites.

I have 5 months left now with this phone, and I can't use all the features I chose it for. And yet for this I am still paying the same full contract price I was paying a year ago.

Message 8 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144682 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Have you connected to Kies to see if any updates are available? If not you could always try contacting Samsung to see if they can help http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smart-phone/GT-S8530HKAXSG-supportfor...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you're still in contract O2 still have an obligation to repair it for you or replace it if they can't.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 10 of 12