Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S8 Oreo update

CraigR
Level 4: Observant
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The Oreo update is now being rolled out in Germany, Poland and India.

Does O2 have a release date yet?

Message 1 of 271
270 REPLIES 270

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Somebody marked this as solved, as there has been no official word on the Oreo update ETA I don't think that is true so have unmarked it.

Message 21 of 271

Pittnuma
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, this should not be marked solved until the release, at present it is all purely guess work as to when it will be released.

Message 22 of 271

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have successfully flashed the official oreo build on my O2 contracted Samsung Galaxy S8. All is working perfectly and smooth and yes I have all the new features and they work perfectly. I Also have the February 2018 security patch. Device status is also official. I was waiting for a while for O2 to release however days to over a week of waiting I Google searched over and over again and found a suitable official build. I wouldn't recommend anyone flashing the Android Oreo 8.0.0 build if you don't know what your doing. Even though it is a painless procedure. I'm sure O2 are working hard to release the update soon. But I could not wait unfortunately I am just one of those guys who are impatient sometimes. Oreo on the S8 rocks! You will love it when O2 releases it! 

Message 23 of 271

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Pleased it's working for you @Anonymous

Though we can't recommend doing that on here. People need to know what they are doing and of course it does void your warranty as I understand it...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 271

CraigR
  • 42 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I don't think flashing official firmware (via Odin) will void the warranty, only unlocking the bootloader and/or rooting.

I used to flash/root and unlock bootloaders all the time but since I became pretty much dependant on Android Pay I stopped. Also phones do seem a lot more stable now and full featured so flashing modified ROMs has sort of lost its appeal.

I still may flash the official Oreo build if O2 continue to drag their feet. It's not just Oreo that annoys me about O2 it's also their slowness to push out Android security updates.

Message 25 of 271

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's an " argument" I've had a few times with admin on here but they won't be moved on their stance.
We even had a guide on here for a while on how to flash official firmware but they took it down.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 271

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5wrote:
It's an " argument" I've had a few times with admin on here but they won't be moved on their stance.
We even had a guide on here for a while on how to flash official firmware but they took it down.

Yes the guide to Kies. It was on for 5 years I think. Permitted by the manager at the time and then removed without warning about 4 months ago.

And O2's stance is it will void your warranty and they wont take responsibility if you 'brick your phone'...

There is little we can do other than advise people to go to the XDA forums (or elsewhere)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 271

Pittnuma
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 11 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

by then the S10 will be out.

Have to say as an ex Nexus user, the wait for carriers is probably going to force me away from a carrier's phone for my next phone.

Message 28 of 271

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm under the impression that if I rooted my S8 or unlocked its bootloader. That's when my warranty will be void. Considering the firmware I flashed is an official build. I must admit I wasn't sure what would happen considering the carrier lock but after researching and finding out that everyone was having success I done it myself and valaa.

No harm what so ever. And I'll still be able to flash the official O2 firmware when O2 releases it from the sammobile website so there's really no loss however I'll most likely keep this build as I will still get otas and security patches and let's not forget android p if you don't know what your doing just wait for Oreo guys
Message 29 of 271

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Your warranty is fine.
It’s only void if you trip the Knox fuse.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 30 of 271