cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S7 Edge going to sleep whilst gaming

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am having a problem whilst gaming on my Samsung S7 Edge since I upgraded to Nougat. The phone is going to sleep after 30 seconds due to inactivity, It never used to do this on Marshmallow. The game I'm playing is Final Fantasy 9 which has a long cut scene at the beginning of the game. When I go to app permissions, one of the permissions is to stop the phone from going to sleep. 

Sorry if this has already been asked, I gave it a quick google but I found no hits. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

How about changing the screen timeout setting in the  display setting from 30 secondso to 5 minutes or so

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I'm not a gamer so can't offer advice about that game in particular, but one of the changes in Nougat was to make doze more aggressive to improve battery life.
My initial thoughts are that maybe the game hasn't been updated by the app devs to be compatible with this feature of Nougat?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aah, so is there not a setting I can change to prevent it sleeping whilst gaming? I seem to remember an option for this on Marshmallow in the game tools app or something like that?
Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
There might be but I'm not sure where, sorry, I just know there are changes in Nougat that could explain why it's different now.
Is there a forum for this game you could look on?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive had a quick look for the problem but because the game is so old (it was originally a playstation one game) and its been released on different platforms, you get a lot of hits that arent related to your search. Ill try asking on the playstore app page, thanks for the help.
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
OK mate, I'm sure it's something to do with those changes but let us know if you find out exactly what it is.
I'll just mention @viridis too as I know he's into games but has a Sony rather than a Samsung at the moment.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Slushpuppy1
Level 3: Thinker
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

How about changing the screen timeout setting in the  display setting from 30 secondso to 5 minutes or so

Message 7 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You could go into advanced battery settings and see if there's an option to turn off power saving features for that app. Other than that it will be down to the app developers to enable the screen off bypass
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
The update has been perfect apart from this one tiny issue. The only work around is to change the screen timeout to 5 minutes to prevent it sleeping.

Thanks for all your help.
Message 9 of 16

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
You could also check the app permissions. They may have reset and stopped the normal function of the game
Message 10 of 16