cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S3 battery drain

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my Samsung S3 for nearly a year and it is pretty much the best phone I've used but my S3 battery is draining really quick. This morning I took my phone off at 7:30ish and I made no calls, texts, didn't use 3G if and I was listening to music via Spotify while offline and as of now my phone battery is at 91% which to me it rather annoying since I did not use my phone hardly at all this morning.

My phone is running Android 4.3 (which is up-to-date) and I have wi-fi, data, gprs and bluetooth turned off, Screen brightness around 25% and I have also used the power saving mode feature but I hardly notice any different with battery life (If anything it makes my phone laggy when doing simple task) I also barely have any apps installed since I did a massive clear out with apps.

Has anyone else got any more suggestions before I go hunt down a spare battery?

Cheers,

Alex

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would install Onavo count which will show you if any apps are using battery power. Simple test for the battery is to take it out and lie it on a flat surface and their should be no bevelling or bulging.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would install Onavo count which will show you if any apps are using battery power. Simple test for the battery is to take it out and lie it on a flat surface and their should be no bevelling or bulging.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onavo.android.onavoid&hl=en

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi AleB91 and Welcome to the forum.

Occasionally turning the phone off , clean the SIM card and battery pull (phone model dependant) and turn the phone back on clears lots of glitches.

Batteries do have a certain amount of optimum charges and do diminish over time.

I would however expect a battery to last longer than a year.

It may be that time to replace your battery with another authentic original one.

If you have recently updated your firmware then if glitches occur its an idea to hard reset the phone after making a back up of any data in the phones memory and move what you can to any sd card.

This is one if the last procedures to carry out.

http://www.hard-reset.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-hard-reset.html
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I've had the same problem with my S3 after updating to 4.3. My husband also had the same issue on his Note 2. But after the updated the to 4.4 the battery issue improved. I think it's something to do with the 4.3 software.

Until Samsung releases the fix I think you will have to suffer with the battery issue till then.

Message 4 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately, it's unlikely there will be any further software updates for the S3. Mine does lose battery power quite rapidly since 4.3 but there were so many problems with that update that Samsung did pull it until the issues were supposedly fixed.

Even after a factory reset my S3 is nowhere near as fast or as responsive as it was on 4.1.2. I have since got the Note 4 so wiped the S3 of virtually all apps and it's ok now to sell on but not aa patch on the phone it once was.

Message 5 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Unfortunately, it's unlikely there will be any further software updates for the S3. Mine does lose battery power quite rapidly since 4.3 but there were so many problems with that update that Samsung did pull it until the issues were supposedly fixed.

Even after a factory reset my S3 is nowhere near as fast or as responsive as it was on 4.1.2. I have since got the Note 4 so wiped the S3 of virtually all apps and it's ok now to sell on but not aa patch on the phone it once was.

@jonsie  I am finding the same with my S3 which is nearly 2 years old now. I followed all the advice given by yourself and Rich and ended up getting a new battery (Genuine Samsung of course...:smileywink:)

It did improve for a while but now is pretty poor again considering the limited use it gets... (compared to my Tablet and Laptop)

I wont do anymore with it now as I am shortly due to upgrade....to my NoteHappy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You will certainly notice a remarkable difference on the Note 3. Sad to say, we get used to a phone and don't normally notice a slight deterioration in speed over time but with the 4.3 update, the lag and freezing were instant. I was in Thailand when I updated with no PC to help. Even the factory reset did little to help and the phone was constantly overheating. One of the reasons I bought the Note 2 there.

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
That's pretty normal for an S3. It's only a 1750mah battery (I think) so you'll struggle to get much more out of 4.3 which is a fair bit more battery hungry than 4.1.2 was.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ladies and gents,

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will give these a try when I get back from university and will let you know.

I have a feeling though with reading some of the replies, I have a strong feeling that I may need to either invest in carrying a spare battery and a spare USB lead for my travels which is rather annoying. Especially knowing that the fact that Samsung won't be releasing another update to address this issue.

As I said, I'll update later and let you know what the actual issue is.

Cheers,

Alex

Message 9 of 15

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Good luck. I normally carry a power pack with me if I'm away from home or charging points for extended periods.

Message 10 of 15