cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S2 Back Button and Menu Button failure

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Samsung S2 menu and back button features both stopped working abruptly a couple of days ago. This makes the phone problematic to use. I have factory reset and have read forum advice suggesting I flash firmware using Odin. Not sure either how to do this or if I do it will be effective. Also my factory reset did not appear to wipe everything from phone as it warned it would which I found odd. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The only time you use ODIN is when are carrying out a factory flash or ROM Upgrade/downgrade. Can you access the Recovery menu (from Off, hold down Home+Power and Volume Up. From the menu, choose to clear data/system cache.

Often clearing the Dalvik Cache can help too although this is not an option for non-rooted handsets. Doing a restore from this point, may be the only option for an uninterrupted fix process.

Your other options is run some diagnostics....

But anyway....back up what you can to Google, messages to your SIM etc. and dial *2767*3855# if the method of running the recovery menu isn't an option for you.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The only time you use ODIN is when are carrying out a factory flash or ROM Upgrade/downgrade. Can you access the Recovery menu (from Off, hold down Home+Power and Volume Up. From the menu, choose to clear data/system cache.

Often clearing the Dalvik Cache can help too although this is not an option for non-rooted handsets. Doing a restore from this point, may be the only option for an uninterrupted fix process.

Your other options is run some diagnostics....

But anyway....back up what you can to Google, messages to your SIM etc. and dial *2767*3855# if the method of running the recovery menu isn't an option for you.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Any personal data on the internal SD card will not get deleted as this partition is not formatted during a reset on ICS. However, if you have Jelly Bean software it will be deleted as the disk is no longer partitioned in the same way. Back to your problem, if the reset doesn't fix the buttons it will be a hardware issue and will need to go in for repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that  - will have a go later. I think it is a hardware issue though as I also contacted Samsung, the phone being within the 2 year warranty period. They suggest it is best to send back to them for repair. Perhaps I am better just to send back and get them to sort it out. I am wary of doing anything which might invalidate the warranty! Thanks for getting back to me though.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Doing a factory reset won't invalidate the warranty, but I do think you need to send it in for repair anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Make sure you do a backup before you send it for repair though and take the simcard out so you can use it in another phone.

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think so too. Sent Samsung all the required info and waiting for their returns details. Thanks for all your help.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will do - thanks
Message 8 of 8